No announcement yet.

motor swap 850 to 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just a heads up,im not dead haha! I tried putting the motor in and as it turns out, The Motor i had was an 850 G, the motor i put in 1100 GK. the G has a simple bolt through mount on the motor side of things, where as the GK has opening for shock absorbing bushings. So the bike is up getting the motor put in at a shop, im tired of trying to get it to work, so i took it to a professional. once its in tho, i shouldnt have much issue getting it back together, i did end up cutting the exhaust to get a bolt out, but i found a nice 4 into one set that ill be picking up later on this month. ill keep you posted haha

Comment

The GK used isolators to reduce engine vibration. You could have simply swapped the mounting hardware from the 850 and everything would have just bolted right up. Hopefully you shop will do a good job and not charge you up the wazoo.
      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

im still using the mount bolts and have all of the brackets from the 850 frame, but that back set of tabs welded on the frame itself was just too dang narrow. many hours of thinkin' drinkin' brought me to the conclusion that i was over my head hahaha. its now going on week 3 and the shop still doesnt have my motor in. Now i do understand that there are plenty of other bikes in the shop that need tlc, but its got me worried to beat hell that im going to get my pants pulled down over the price. oh well, id rather eat this one and have a nice old bike, than buy any of this new stuff for more than what i paid for my car.

Comment

Hola Amigos!

so i got the bike back from the shop, it was a grand total of 300 for everything, so not bad in my estimation. he had to redo all except 2 of the mounts .
          Now that i have my bike back im working to get it back together. Its all pretty much ready to go minus the exhaust. Looking on the interwebs I found a 4-1 set from MAC that looks pretty nice, BUT, on their site it says it will fit 1100e with no mention of an 1100gk. to complicate this even more my 1100gk is in an 850gs frame haha!! so my question now is this: aside from the GK being a touring style, is there any differences that i should know about between the two engine wise? or will an exhaust from an 1100e fit on an 1100gk?

i really do appreciate the wealth of knowledge here. Cruising around the web i see this forum offered up consistently as THE go to for the gs.

Comment

It sure has been a while! SO! updates...

I got the electrical smoothed out finally, that is a nightmare for someone as unqualified as myself. All things that were no longer of use were taken out leaving only headlight, tail light, start, go fast, and stop.

I have my exhaust ready to go on tonight, MAC 4-1.

Boots for my carbs. As much as i wanted to go back to the stock air box(s), i wasn't able to track down the right air filter box, so i'm going to end up using pods. (See Below)

New dust boot for the shaft.

--Now my question for you Fantastic People is: Has anyone else jetted their 1100 for Pods? I know there are plenty of kits out there of all different flavors and sizes. What size jets would you recommend putting in for a pod/MAC 4-1 with baffle set up?

Thanks again for your continued support!!!

Comment

OK! I'm on to fluids. I've been creeping but I can't find the info I'm looking for. How much gear oil should I put into the trans. The plug on the left at the top of the case when I'm sitting on it. Stamped above it says "use sae 90 gear oil" I have the oil, but can't find any specs as to how much should go in.

Comment

Originally posted by roadflare View Post
                OK! I'm on to fluids. I've been creeping but I can't find the info I'm looking for. How much gear oil should I put into the trans. The plug on the left at the top of the case when I'm sitting on it. Stamped above it says "use sae 90 gear oil" I have the oil, but can't find any specs as to how much should go in.
                Have you tried consulting a manual? (click link)

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X