Oil leak-Valve cover gasket..what else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak-Valve cover gasket..what else?

So I have this slight oil leak that eventually makes it's way down between the two middle header pipes that I have not pinpointed the source from. I purchased a OEM valve cover gasket and will open it up, replace the gasket and look for any areas that it could be leaking from. My question is while I have the valves open is there any other modifications, replacements, checks, ect that I should do once the valves are exposed? This will be the first time me ever opening an engine so I really don't know if I should do anything. Thanks,

Whole you have it open, check your valve clearances & adjust as necessary.

Comment

Once that is done you'll also need to synchronize your carburetors
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Might want to check the tachometer drive and make sure you don't have an oil leak there as well. Fairly common on a GS.
        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

This should help

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
            Might want to check the tachometer drive and make sure you don't have an oil leak there as well. Fairly common on a GS.
            Yup that is were mine came from, eventually had to replace the outer and inner oring/seal, No more leaks after that.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Ok so I think I have pinpointed the source of the oil leak. Looking at where the oil is coming from after pulling the valve cover it seems to start in the right most cavity of the inital picture I posed. The link that was given to me pointed to a o-ring on an internal bolt that is coming from that same area. I'm about to replace the o-ring, but the condition of the exsisting o-ring looks fine. Should I look for anything else on that part or that area before I bolt it all back down?

Comment

Working...
              X