Vibes, long warm-up, and jetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vibes, long warm-up, and jetting

I have a '78 GS1000 stock except for the Kerker 4-1 with 50k miles or so. Last season I adjusted the valves, soaked the carbs overnight and sprayed them all out, put new O-rings in, and synced it. New cylinder head boots and O-rings. New 530 o-ring chain and sprockets from Z1.

Throughout all last season, the bike had a bad engine vibration. This vibration is apparent even when the bike is sitting in neutral, and appears throughout the entire RPM range. The vibration appears abnormal to me because it is noticeably more than my '79 1000L had. If I cut out the engine at speed, the vibration goes away. I checked to ensure that all of my engine mounting bolts are tight.

This season, I stepped up two sizes in main jets (from stock size) due to the exhaust, synced the carbs again while adjusting the idle mixture with a colortune, replaced the battery, and I've been riding. All of the same symptoms persist. The bike has electronic ignition and the initial timing is correct.

This morning, I idled for 5 minutes, shut the choke off, and got on the highway. The bike would maintain a steady RPM but would stutter a bit at speed. It took 15 minutes of riding to smooth out a bit.

It's rideable, but I would really like it to be as smooth as my old '79 1000L was.

Symptoms: 1) Vibration throughout RPM range, definitely coming from the engine. 2) Stuttering and taking a while to warm up/smooth out.

So I've confirmed: 1) Valves adjusted properly. 2) Carbs clean and synced at 2k. 3) cylinder head boots new and properly sealed with new O-rings.

My thoughts: 1) Finish the jetting and needle adjustment procedure by doing plug chops. 2) Check cam timing and chain tension (bad tensioner causing periodic slack in the chain causing stuttering?). 3) Test coils. 4) Test ignition advance. 5) Take apart the stator rotor and starter clutch to check for imbalance. 6) Look for play in the main bearings.

Thanks,
    -Matt

Maybe you got a misfire in one cylinder, so rule out a spark plug (or cap)problem first .
    you said if you cut out engine at speed , vibration went away, so it doesn't sound mechanical.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Just to be clear, you have Mikuni 100 main jets in the carbs now? have you done anything with the airbox/filter?
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Check that you have spark at all cylinders. I had a coil fail and lost spark on 1&4, and when I started it for the season, it seemed to run rough, but not as bad as I would have expected, and pulled pretty well. After finding the bad coil and replacing it, it ran a LOT better!
        1979 GS 1000

Comment

I had the same problem with my 1980 GS1000G. Used it as an opportunity to upgrade. Now it's a 1980 GS1100G. I'll be watching this thread to see what the cause of the vibration was in your case. Probably going to rebuild my, now spare, 1000G engine as a transplant into my GS850GL. Can never have too many 1 liter plus bikes.
          Last edited by JTGS850GL; 03-27-2015, 08:24 PM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Well the long warm up and sputtering problem went away, so I'm choking that up to last season's fuel being replaced by fresh fuel.

The vibration still seems abnormal to me, though, so I'm going to pursue everything I listed above.

It's definitely firing on all four, because my colortune was working on all 4. I already trimmed the wires back, but I'll probably just replace the caps, too.

Comment

Working...
            X