Chocolate Milk for Gear Oil...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chocolate Milk for Gear Oil...

I changed the gear oil on the secondary drive this evening and it came out very dark and milky looking, as I looked a little closer and there was a gold tint to it as well. I will be changing it again on my days off but I just wanted to make sure that this is a sign of something else that is a bigger problem. Haven't noticed any issues shifting before, did grind going into 1st here and there but I believe that was my shifting. I will be double checking clutch cable tension as well.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Water got in. Make sure the breather is functioning and the bike doesn't live under water.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Not an expert by any shot. But your saying it came out milky makes me think that the oil is contaminated with water.

I am sure someone will pipe up and say yay or nay.

I would be tempted to drain it after a few rides and replace it again....How is the filler plug's gasket?
      Daniel

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ine=1539562056

1973 Honda ST90
      1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Ok I'll check the breather...where might that be? I will do some research and see if I can find my own answer.

Gasket appeared in good shape. one of the things I checked.

Comment

If the bike is lactose intolerant, you might want to use chocolate soy-milk. Sorry, just kidding. Obviously the previous owner wan't staying on top of that situation.
          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
          1983 GS 1100 G
          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Are we talking about secondary drive on trans or the rear wheel pumpkin?
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Secondary drive. Not final drive

Comment

Condensation buildup over years of none use. Replace the gear oil again after a few miles and everything should be good to go.
                http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Your clutch and transmission are lubricated by engine oil. Secondary transmission should be unrelated to shifting and clutch issues.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

As Ed said check the breather tube if still fitted is not in a pool of water under the starter motor.
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous
                    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                      Your clutch and transmission are lubricated by engine oil. Secondary transmission should be unrelated to shifting and clutch issues.
                      That's what I thought, didn't realize there was another oil til I was doing some reading on it the other day. Still trying to understand the whole workings of the bike.

Will check the breather after the weekend, thanks for the tip!

Comment

Changed it out again today after running it for a little bit. This is what came out.

Comment

Keep doing it until you're happy with what's coming out.
                          That's actually not tooooo bad. Seen worse coming out of mine first time.
                          97 R1100R
                          Previous
                          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                            Keep doing it until you're happy with what's coming out.
                            That's actually not tooooo bad. Seen worse coming out of mine first time.
                            Yeah its much better than the first time, gonna put some more miles on it before I do it again.

Comment

Same with my GS850G

I found a similar problem last week after coming back from a fairly wet weekend rally. The symptom I started off with was oil dripping from the bottom of the oilpan which has never happened before. Engine oil level hasnt changed and it doesnt use engine oil anyway...

Drained the secondary gearcase, first change came out like cappucino, the second change came out like white coffee, third change came out OK, so all the water has now been removed from the gearcase.

Traced the oil drip path from the oilpan, back up the engine case to the mystery drain, then up to the starter motor area - good amount of dirt, fine gravel and oil in there and around the drain hole, cleaned that up, replaced the starter motor o-ring and sealed up the oil pressure sensor with 3-Bond. The O-rings have gone flat, so need to be replaced.

The gearcase breather isnt blocked and it seems to hold pressure steady for at least 5-10 seconds when I blow into it so no major leakage there (I hope).

Put a folded up wad of paper towel in the space under the mystery drain, then after a good ride - 100 miles or so - the paper shows a few drops which smell like gear oil so there may still be a leak there...or some oil could have been trapped in the drain still working its way out....time will tell whats next...

Comment

Working...
                              X