How to remove secondary drive gears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove secondary drive gears?

I'm working on one of my GS1000G engines and was wondering what's the best method to remove both the driven and drive gears. I've unbolted the 4 mounting bolts to both but they seem to be stuck. Is there some trick to removing them without damaging the flanges? The one that connects to the drive shaft seems to be particularly fragile.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Some people here have reported success with loosening the case screws adjacent to the output flange so the gear assembly can be removed.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'll give that a try.

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I am one of "those people" that has reported that success.

Loosen the case bolts within a couple inches of the gears, then wiggle the gear set out. Be aware that there is not much play between the gear set and the housing, so it has to come out VERY straight. When you go to put it back in, it is easy to get it cocked sideways, so be careful.

You will think that there is not enough room to pull the gear set out, but if you rotate the output flange just right, it will fit.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I now have a secondary drive problem on my 1981 GS1000G. The rear wheel will not turn easily (it only goes so far and won't go any farther) and I have narrowed it down to the secondary drive by first removing the rear caliper, then removing the 4 x 12mm head bolts under the boot at the engine so as to disconnect the shaft from the engine.

Searching through some threads, this one seems to be the most relevant recent one.

I've read the factory manual for replacement and think I have the equivalent special tools required. I'm not clear from Steve's response if the engine must be removed. The manual says for the driven gear it must be removed, but does not indicate this for the drive gear. This is one of those situations where if I take it apart I'd like to replace all of the bearings.

I could not find a how-to thread for this here (went back 5 pages in search) or on Cliff's site.

EDIT: Link to repair thread:
            GS1000G Secondary Drive Bearing Replacement
            Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2016, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1000G Shopper View Post
              I'm not clear from Steve's response if the engine must be removed.
              Not sure about the 1000, but the 850 does not need to be removed. The frames are identical, but the 1000 engine might be just a bit longer.

The hardest part of my repair was getting the driven unit out STRAIGHT. Using two levering bars, I was able to rock the gearset EVER so SLIGHTLY from side to side, trying to keep it as straight as possible.

If you have ever removed a bucket from over a valve in the head, you will understand just how straight the gear has to be to slide in or out of its location. It is just as tight, but has no lubrication.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the info Steve.

Comment

Same here -- although the manual tells you to remove the engine, there's juuuust enough clearance to remove it without doing this. You do have to remove the swingarm.

There's actually a tiny bit of a cutout in the frame to allow the drive unit to clear. Worst case, you can loosen the engine mounting bolts and carefully lift and lever the engine a wee bit to gain more clearance.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks. I just pulled mine over the course of the last two days and am writing a how-to for the procedure. I found a lot of info on the bearings, the cost is less than half that of the dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1000G Shopper View Post
                      Thanks. I just pulled mine over the course of the last two days and am writing a how-to for the procedure. I found a lot of info on the bearings, the cost is less than half that of the dealer.

I'm going to wake this thread up again. Did you ever do the how to for the procedure and if so where did you put it?

I'm having an issue that sounds like secondary gear or bearing on an '83 1100L.
                      Alan

sigpic
                      Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                      Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                      Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                      Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by AMK View Post
                        I'm going to wake this thread up again. Did you ever do the how to for the procedure and if so where did you put it?

I'm having an issue that sounds like secondary gear or bearing on an '83 1100L.
                        My oversight for not linking it:

GS1000G Secondary Drive Bearing Replacement

Comment

Cool, thanks!
                          Alan

sigpic
                          Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                          Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                          Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                          Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Working...