Special tools for engine tear-down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special tools for engine tear-down

Like the title says, i'm starting a tear-down/rebuild on my 77 GS750. There are a few specialty tools i need and am having trouble finding them. Anyone know a good site with tools for it, or those that will work?

Most everything you need should already be in your toolbox. What exactly do you think you need to get?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Well, my toolbox is pretty basic. I have access to a better assortment....I honestly am not sure. I have not done a rebuild in a while, last one was was several years ago and I haven't done any work or ridden on anything since. Just got the bike, runs..but cylinders 1/2 have no compression and leak oil. The previous owner said he was riding and he just lost half power and notice oil coming from the left side. Said he rode it aprox. 10 miles back home like that. No idea on mileage, it turned over and ran, once it warmed up you could hear the head gasket was blown and oil seeping on 1/2 cyl. So for fun project, going to tear it down and just make it as much of a new engine as I can. Have the manual and it's saying i need all these tools, i know many of them I don't need. I guess the better question would be, is there anything I must have?

Comment

You'll need a basic set of wrenches/ratchet and sockets to remove the bolts to each section, a hanger or wire to hold up the cam chain, and new gaskets. A valve spring compressor can be made from a c-clamp and socket cut with a window in it. A magnetic pickup tool will pull the keepers from the valves and your bare fingers will work to carefully slide off and on the piston rings. Small wooden blocks can help hold the pistons correctly while installing the cylinders. You'll want a good set of circlip pliers and some sort of valve lapping tool (see my write up on Basscliff's site - http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff). A camera to record your work and this forum for help.

i know I forgot stuff and others will chime in but go read some of the project threads for more information.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

i always throw the cam chain down in the hole to get it out of the way when i'm done with any rotations....
          then retrieve with my flex magnet.

Comment

A set of JIS screwdrivers or bits to keep from stripping out all those "Cheap Jap pot metal philips head screws" (really a different fastener pattern). These will keep you from pulling your hair out when you go to take the oil pump and shifter doo dads out.

Comment

#3 bit and a 3/8" impact has done me well over many years...i have a coffee can full of undamaged metric phillips screws.

Comment

For what its worth here, the mainstay of all my wrenching is a 40 PC ratchet / wrench set made by Stanley and purchased at Walmart many years ago. Then some additional 1 or 2 dollar flea market screw drivers and various other wrenches. Throw in a 3/8 drive FT LB and a 1/4 inch drive inch pound torque wrench from Harbor Freight and that pretty much covers it all. Probably under a hundred bucks total.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                X