Welded 1982 crank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welded 1982 crank?

Major technical changes appearing on a monthly basis saw the 1100ES produced in 1983 only, replaced the next year by the larger and more powerful 1150cc monoshock.

I read recently, perhaps in the same article that the above came from, that halfway through 1982 Suzuki started welding the crank of the 11e. Also increasing that taper deal.

I know this could be settled if someone would come forward and state that they've seen a welded crank on an original '82 11e. If not, how did such a rumor get started?

Of course I have nothing to worry about, since my PO sprayed my engine black. And once I install my '83 gauges, my redline will be 500 rpms higher.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

ray has seen this..
    i myself have never seen an 82 with a large taper and welded throws.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
      ray has seen this..
      Ray, can you provide any engine numbers that you believe have the stronger internals? (Just in case my black engine paint doesn't do the trick.)

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, as Suzi isn't back on the road yet. But it will likely be only a few more weeks, and if everything feels stable and aligned, I know I'll want to visit that part of the tach in first where the front begins to rise.

That lifting of the front has cured me of my old compulsion (redline in first...redline in first). Four months without a ride...I'm starting to get affected.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

i also don't believe the numbers BS..
        rob your fishing with no bait...

Comment

If you think you have one take out the clutch hub and have a look.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
            ray has seen this..

Mine was warrantied by Suzuki in 1984, the same year I bought it. The new replacement crank was welded but had a small end. Probably to save money on switching over the stator. So its possible someone could have bought a used 82 with a welded crank and not know by the size of the rotor. I think you can see one of the welds looking through the clutch basket, at least on one throw of the crank.

Comment

Late 82S had welded, SMALL end cranks. I have personally seen at least 5 or 6. I didn't write down engine #s.
              Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                Late 82S had welded, SMALL end cranks. I have personally seen at least 5 or 6. I didn't write down engine #s.
                Ray.
                no big tapers?

Comment

Terry, they MAY have gone to the large taper at the end of the 82 run, when they were welding the small end cranks but I have never seen one. I put a LOT of 83 cranks in 82 motors but I never saw an 82 motor from the factory with a big end on it.

Comment

Working...
                  X