Possible starter clutch issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible starter clutch issue?

Went for a ride on Sunday but noticed a strange sound when starting the bike. When I pressed the start button I notices a kind of a sharp nocking/tapping/gear grinding sound. Engine started just fine but have heard this twice now. Am I going down the road of needing a new starter clutch? What should I be looking for in terms of damage parts to replace?
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Don't wait - go exploring now! Maybe a roller came loose or maybe the three screws are loosening up. Best not to damage crank surface
    Attached Files
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

That was my guess. Don't have a flywheel puller. Any other options?

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Yes, buy a puller.
        Ray.

Comment

You most definitely need a flywheel puller, I just changed the stator and rotor on my 77 750 and it was a devil to get off. An impact wrench helps also, as stated get in there sooner than later.
          My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot :eagerness: and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

OK, suggestions on which puller and where to get it? This is for a 1983 GS1100G engine. I'd like to try to order the tool as soon as possible.
            I don't plan on riding this one till it gets resolved.
            Last edited by JTGS850GL; 04-07-2015, 03:52 PM.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I think this is what I need.

Motion Pro P/N: 08-0349

Can anyone confirm?

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Not sure how about this michigan guy. We should have a puller sharing club

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  Not sure how about this michigan guy. We should have a puller sharing club

http://stores.ebay.com/Motorcycle-Pa...sid=1067012968
                  Yes, kind of like the shim club but with tools. You borrow the tool for shipping + a deposit. When you return the tool you get the deposit back. I could go for that but I do tend to be a tool hoarder.

So far this is the least expensive one I've found:

Last edited by JTGS850GL; 04-07-2015, 04:46 PM.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I dislike having tools that I will seldom use - I have too many already. I'd probably opt for 3 arm gear puller and sledge hammer before acquiring more.
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

I've been doing some research on the starter clutch issues and now thinking of applying the "delayed ignition fix". Any updates on how effective it's been? Any idea if ignition timing would have an impact on how often I get starter kick back? One thing I had to do to convert the 1100G engine to the 1000G ignition was to move the mechanical advance and signal generators over from a 1000G engine. Have not had a chance to verify dynamic ignition timing yet.

Thinking of adding a delay relay to the igniter/coil supply line in order to allow the engine to not fire until the starter motor RPMs are up. Probable location of the relay would be inline with the O/W wire supplying current to the coils and igniter. Could also double as a bypass relay mod supplying full battery voltage to the coils and igniter instead of passing through the ignition and kill switch.

Not sure there's any problem with the starter clutch right now since it doesn't happen all the time and I hear no unusual sounds once the engine is started. Probably will still check out the starter clutch just to make sure.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

A forum member explained how to switch wires by the coils without cutting anything. This will enable the motor to spin without firing the coils. Key on, run switch off, thumb starter button, motor spins, hit run button to on, coils fire. It was post #11 in the thread.
                        "1150-1229 starter button mod", was the thread title in the search function.
                        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Yes, I saw that thread. It was Posplayer that posted it. I decided to go with option 4 in his list of fixes because I like the clutch safety circuit being intact and that would not allow me to reach over with my left hand to start the bike. The delay relay seems like the best option as it would be automatic.

Still looking for someone to confirm the correct tool to remove the flywheel before I order it.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

What ignitor are you using? There is yet another way that is simpler.

Comment

The igniter is the stock GS1000G unit that was used on the 1980 model. When I installed the 1983 GS1100G engine I transferred the mechanical advance and the signal generator from a 1980 GS1000G engine into the 1983 engine.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                              X