No announcement yet.

Possible starter clutch issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't remember who it was, but one of the people installing a SSPB complained to me that their bike would not start until after they released the start button. They figured it had something to do with the headlamp cutout circuitry in the SSPB. Well after a little experimentation it was discovered the the PO had wired the ground of the ignitro to the solenoid (Y/G) start line. The effect is that as long as the solenoid is engaged the ignitor will not fire. As soon as the start button is released the ignitor is grounded through the solenoid and the bike fires. It apparently worked so well that the person installing the SSPB had never noticed it before.

The other thing that helps is the headlamp cutout as it eliminated 5 amps to the headlamp while the engine is cranking. So probably a better solutions is :
    A.) Wire the ignition ground to the Solenoid Y/G
    B.) Wire in a headlamp relay as per these directions: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...eadlamp+cutout

I updated this link as well.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.
    Last edited by posplayr; 04-08-2015, 11:44 PM.

Comment

You need to go in and have a looksy
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
        Yes, I saw that thread. It was Posplayer that posted it. I decided to go with option 4 in his list of fixes because I like the clutch safety circuit being intact and that would not allow me to reach over with my left hand to start the bike. The delay relay seems like the best option as it would be automatic.

Still looking for someone to confirm the correct tool to remove the flywheel before I order it.
        No, it wasn't Posplayer, but he has several more detailed choices and explanations to choose from. It was this guy
        Jd Powell

Wow, Awesome thread! I stumbled across this one a few minutes ago. Sounded good so I thought I'd give it a try. Amazing results. On my bike, a 1980 GS1000G. I just unplugged the connector from the rt. handlebar switch. (located under the coils) In this connector power comes in on the red, goes through the kill switch, to the start button and the coils. This coil pwr wire exits the connector as an O/W wire. So by simply unlocking the pins in the connector (switch side not harness side) I was able to switch the red and O/W wires. Now power is available to the starting button whenever the key is on. The kill switch now only controls the ignition. New start sequence = Key on, push start button 1-2 sec, turn kill on, Success! The best part is no cutting/splicing needed. Also if you leave the kill switch on, the bike still starts normally
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
          No, it wasn't Posplayer, but he has several more detailed choices and explanations to choose from. It was this guy
          Jd Powell

Wow, Awesome thread! I stumbled across this one a few minutes ago. Sounded good so I thought I'd give it a try. Amazing results. On my bike, a 1980 GS1000G. I just unplugged the connector from the rt. handlebar switch. (located under the coils) In this connector power comes in on the red, goes through the kill switch, to the start button and the coils. This coil pwr wire exits the connector as an O/W wire. So by simply unlocking the pins in the connector (switch side not harness side) I was able to switch the red and O/W wires. Now power is available to the starting button whenever the key is on. The kill switch now only controls the ignition. New start sequence = Key on, push start button 1-2 sec, turn kill on, Success! The best part is no cutting/splicing needed. Also if you leave the kill switch on, the bike still starts normally

Is it also available when the Ignition Key is OFF? Can you crank the engine with the key off? My guess since red is always hot, and it sounds like you connected O/W to Red.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            You need to go in and have a looksy
            Flywheel removal tool is ordered. As soon as it gets in I'll be pulling it down to see what happening. Not riding it till then. Need to replace a front fork seal as well. Other then that it rides soooo sweet!! 1100G engine has a ton of grunt down low. Makes for a nice smooth runner.
            http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
            1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              Is it also available when the Ignition Key is OFF? Can you crank the engine with the key off? My guess since red is always hot, and it sounds like you connected O/W to Red.
              It's not available with key off. I'm still having SC snatching and difficult start up, even with a brand new SC, left end taper and battery. I also recently cleaned the commutator in the starter motor. It was black. It's as if the battery doesn't have enough cranking amps to spin the engine fast enough before firing off the coils. Once warm, it's no problem.
              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                It's not available with key off. I'm still having SC snatching and difficult start up, even with a brand new SC, left end taper and battery. I also recently cleaned the commutator in the starter motor. It was black. It's as if the battery doesn't have enough cranking amps to spin the engine fast enough before firing off the coils. Once warm, it's no problem.
                The main factor in the kick back is slow cranking, whether from Hi cc's or Hi compression or low voltage. You could still have issues with the starter that are not just the commutator: Shorted field windings or demagnetized magnets.

Comment

Working...
                X