DOHC 750 cams, a plea for help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOHC 750 cams, a plea for help.

I just got around to removing my valve cover to check clearances on my 1980 GS 750E, and found the following:

Now, I'm no expert, but after digging around here a bit I get the impression that those are toast. I could very well be mistaken. The surface feels entirely smooth, and there's no discernible groove that I can feel, but I'm not sure just how to determine whether they are salvageable or not. Anybody have a more informed prognosis?

In the likely event that I will need to replace that cam, should I just do both at the same time? Any other components I should replace while I'm in there? I'm also having a hell of a time finding cams for my particular bike (this is becoming a bit of a trend). Anybody have any sites I should check out in my hunt? They are backordered on partsoutlaw, which was my saving grace for the rather elusive brake caliper pistons for my bike.

If anybody is still actually reading this far, one more question for you. If this is going to turn into an extensive project, any other things I should check out while I've got the motor all apart? I have the clutch cover and stator cover off to replace the stator, gaskets, and fasteners all 'round. Is there anything else I should have a look at while I've got the various cases open and perhaps proactively replace? The bike has around 21k miles, but only about a thousand of them are mine. The PO didn't treat her very well.

Thanks all.

Cams and rockers. Shim the oil pressure relief spring. You are not the first with that problem.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Cams and rockers. Shim the oil pressure relief spring. You are not the first with that problem.
      Does shimming the oil pressure relief spring mitigate the oil delivery problem these models have?

Comment

Oh look, someone sorta in my neighborhood. Replacement part costs add up quickly ( and can be hard to find) these plain bearing engines need oil. You say you put 1000 miles on this - any unpleasant noises noticeable from crankshaft ?

Put bike/model/year in your signature to aid others .this is 1980 gs750e?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You've got it, Tom. Just edited my signature, thanks for the tip.

The only noise I noticed seemed to be lifter noise, which I only noticed in about the last 500 miles. That's not to say it wasn't there, but getting the damn thing running reliably is still a work in progress.

Comment

I have a 1980 750 engine I can part out if you can't find the parts you need in the next few weeks. Haven't looked inside yet.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

From what I could see, it looks fine. I have the same bike with 59,000 miles on it.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

If they are perfectly smooth, they're probably fine. My 750 has similar discoloration and only 11,000 miles.

If you want to be sure, you can always remove them and put a micrometer on them, the service manual has the specs.
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                  If they are perfectly smooth, they're probably fine. My 750 has similar discoloration and only 11,000 miles.

If you want to be sure, you can always remove them and put a micrometer on them, the service manual has the specs.
                  Excellent, that'll be my next step. I'd rather just adjust the valves and be done with it than spend many (more) hundreds of dollars.

@tkent02, if these truly are shot then I'll probably be looking you up. The cheapest replacement I've found, just for the cam alone, is $265. That's not even counting the rockers and such.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyPatel15 View Post
                    I just got around to removing my valve cover to check clearances on my 1980 GS 750E, and found the following:

Now, I'm no expert, but after digging around here a bit I get the impression that those are toast. I could very well be mistaken. The surface feels entirely smooth, and there's no discernible groove that I can feel, but I'm not sure just how to determine whether they are salvageable or not. Anybody have a more informed prognosis?

In the likely event that I will need to replace that cam, should I just do both at the same time? Any other components I should replace while I'm in there? I'm also having a hell of a time finding cams for my particular bike (this is becoming a bit of a trend). Anybody have any sites I should check out in my hunt? They are backordered on partsoutlaw, which was my saving grace for the rather elusive brake caliper pistons for my bike.

If anybody is still actually reading this far, one more question for you. If this is going to turn into an extensive project, any other things I should check out while I've got the motor all apart? I have the clutch cover and stator cover off to replace the stator, gaskets, and fasteners all 'round. Is there anything else I should have a look at while I've got the various cases open and perhaps proactively replace? The bike has around 21k miles, but only about a thousand of them are mine. The PO didn't treat her very well.

Thanks all.
                    The exhaust rocker arms on the early 16 valve 750s have a split pad. That's why you see the discolorization like that. As long as the cam lobes are smooth across & have no grooving the rockers are good. Just so you know, an 1100 motor bolts right in & is a LOT more fun AND reliable!!
                    Ray.

Comment

"...Just so you know, an 1100 motor bolts right in & is a LOT more fun AND reliable!!"

adjust valves and see how it runs. If any mechanical issues, consider ray's advice.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                        "...Just so you know, an 1100 motor bolts right in & is a LOT more fun AND reliable!!"

adjust valves and see how it runs. If any mechanical issues, consider ray's advice.
                        Yes, yes they are far more fun, and run SO much smoother. Mine didn't scare me anymore. That had to change...

Also had a valve tip issue due to the poor oiling. Considering what it would have cost to fix that, versus the cost of a running 1100...
                        Last edited by Spyder; 04-17-2015, 01:58 PM.
                        '83 GS 1100T
                        The Jet

sigpic
                        '95 GSXR 750w
                        The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

You guys are a bad influence. I'd been daydreaming of dropping in an 1100 motor if enough issues turned up with the current mill. Lead me not into temptation, I can find the way myself...

I'll be picking up a micrometer and checking if the cam lobes are in spec this weekend. In the meantime, I'll be praying to whatever deity pops into my head. I'm going to address the potential oiling issue, check out the pump, strainer, filter, etc either way, as well as shim the pressure relief spring. Thanks again for all the input, you guys are fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                          X