High oil pressure on 1979 GS1000E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High oil pressure on 1979 GS1000E

I rebuilt the top end on my bike. It ran great for a day or two and it started smoking. I tore it back down and one of the oil rings broke and scarred the cylinder. I had another set of cylinders bored 1mm over and put it back together. I also put an oil cooler on it BUT I didnt hook it up at the oil pressure gauge. Instead I drilled holes in the oil filter cover and hooked the cooler lines there like the newer models do. I also put a oil pressure gauge on it. when I started it the oil pressure gauge pegged and broke and the engine smoked badly. I installed another oil pressure gauge and it broke. I tore the engine down again and there were no broken rings or scarring of the cylinders and ring end gap is within tolerances. I replaced the head gasket and put it back together and the bad smoke continues. Sometimes I can start it and it takes a while before it starts smoking. I don't know if hooking the oil cooler up like I did is causing it or what. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by ZukiJoe View Post
    I rebuilt the top end on my bike. It ran great for a day or two and it started smoking. I tore it back down and one of the oil rings broke and scarred the cylinder. I had another set of cylinders bored 1mm over and put it back together. I also put an oil cooler on it BUT I didnt hook it up at the oil pressure gauge. Instead I drilled holes in the oil filter cover and hooked the cooler lines there like the newer models do. I also put a oil pressure gauge on it. when I started it the oil pressure gauge pegged and broke and the engine smoked badly. I installed another oil pressure gauge and it broke. I tore the engine down again and there were no broken rings or scarring of the cylinders and ring end gap is within tolerances. I replaced the head gasket and put it back together and the bad smoke continues. Sometimes I can start it and it takes a while before it starts smoking. I don't know if hooking the oil cooler up like I did is causing it or what. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Valve guide seals? Ring end gaps rotated away from each other?
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Yup valve guide seal are new and ring gaps were rotated. I'm ready to tear her down again. Lol
      Last edited by Guest; 04-16-2015, 07:40 PM.

Comment

The extreme high oil pressure may be a clue to the smoking: take the oil filter off and see if there is anything that could be stopping the flow of oil. I wouldn't run it until you have the oil pressure issue sorted. Can you see signs that oil is getting to the head/valves? What if you put the oil gage back in the OE position?

Brian

Comment

You used your stock oil pump?
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Maybe your exhaust has a bunch off oil in it from the broken ring and it is burning off now. I put a nice looking exhaust off a parts bike onto my 750B and saw a cloud off blue smoke in my mirror when I took it for a ride. But it cleared up after a few miles.

Comment

Did you use the 1 over rings since you had it rebored??
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Good point Chuck...you'd need oversize Pistons too, right?

I'm not sure how the crankcase venting works on the GSs but if it built up pressure it could cause the smoking too. Could try and loosen the oil fill cap with the engine running and see if there is pressure.

Comment

I can't remember if GS oil filters are directional. Never mind. It'd bypass anyway. Thinking out loud. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiJoe View Post
                    show us a few pics of how you setup the oil filter cover, i fail to see how it could work

Comment

Yes i did use the oversize rings.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. Im going to work on it and check some the things everyone is suggesting. Ill ,let you know what I find.

Comment

Working...
                        X