Valve shim clearance/sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve shim clearance/sizes

Just Checking valve clearances on the 78 750 and come across something weird. (new bike, haven't ridden it yet)
    All the clearances are quite large around .3mm some of them. Didn't do exact check, just a quick check at the end of the day.
    So I whipped the two out from number one cyl to see and measured them and stuck them back in and one was 1.93mm the other was 1.9mm.
    Now im on computer looking about to see where I can get replacements from and looks like they start at 2.3mm so looked at Suzuki manual and they start at 2.15mm!
    Has some idiot cocked up .03-.08mm for thou/inch and ground them down? Theres no markings on them either.
    A couple were around .1mm
    Am I missing something here.

Also did a compression test before pulling cam cover and all four cylinders showing 175psi which seems very good, almost to good. Is this normal compression.
    Don't know any history of the bike except its a race bike (someone elses unfinished project) came with a spare engine. There is a pick of it in my first post.
    This is my second post!
    Cheers, Steve.

Maybe someone did some valve seat work causing valve stems to rise up too far and rather than grind stems down, he ground shims too fit.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Trying to figure out what was in a PO's head is not easy. You don't even know if this is the 'finished' plan or a work in progress. As Tom said maybe the valves came up, compression is good so that's consistent with valve work. If you can get in touch with whoever worked on this you might get an idea of what's going on. I would be starting to check things like are the cams and springs original. Either way I would be trying to make sure that an attempt to get back to stock clearances wasn't going to cause unforseen problems. Someone could have put the decimal point in the wrong place and was shooting for 0.3 but someone with the facility to source or grind thin shims couldn't make that kind of mistake surely.
      1.9 seems too thin for the job they have to do.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

you need to get it sorted now, those clearances will only get tighter so even thinner shims will be required later. if your measurements are correct then i agree, sounds like it has had a valve job and instead of shaving a bit off the top of the valves, they have ground the shims down to size.
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Why not take accurate clearance measurements then figure out what shims you would need to get .03 - .08. If they are normal size shims then set to correct clearance and go riding.

i can see your excessive clearance giving high compression because it would noticeablely reduce valve overlap. Could it be a sales strategy; "can't start bike but hey it has real great compression"

Brian

Comment

Once you figure out whether stock clearances will not hurt anything, feel free to take advantage of the offer in my sig.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok, thanks for the replys.
              On this subject do these bike clearances generally tend to tighten up over the years or loosen or random?
              I know on my yammy FZR the intake valves all tighten. the exhaust valves stay good.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2015, 01:42 PM.

Comment

as i mentioned earlier, they close up as the valves bash their way through the seats.......
                1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Ok, well ive taken accurate measurements and still same result which doesn't make much sense. Especially since the seats tend to recede.
                  Every single shim is very small (all between 1.80-1.90mm)
                  Every single clearance is large except one which is in spec (all the rest are between 0.15-0.30mm)
                  So I need a bunch of shims around 2.0-2.1mm which aren't available. Could take the shims out of the spare motor and grind them down.
                  Or I could just leave them in there for a while till they come back into spec!!

Comment

"Or I could just leave them in there for a while till they come back into spec!!"

forget this idea- it will take too long. Besides I'd worry about a shim exiting a bucket.
                    The easy way is to go into the shim grinding business , knowing that you or next guy will be grinding again.
                    The better way unfortunately is to shorten valve stems aiming for needed shims in the 2.7 mm range which are plentiful.
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Just how thin can the shims be made before the cam lobe hits the bucket before it hits the shim? Might be the reason that Suzuki only made shims down to 2.15mm.
                      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I don't know how far down a shim can safely be ground without the bucket interference, but there are quite a few engines that are using shims that are under 2.15. I remember one shim club member that needed a 1.90 in one valve.
                        "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                        GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                        1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                        1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                        1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

I'd still double check that the cam lobes are not getting ground down along the outside edges.
                          http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                          1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I measured the lip on the bucket once upon a time, but don't remember what it was. Maybe about 1.5mm?

What I can tell you, though, is that even a 2.70 shim can get spit out if you catch a 'false neutral' between 2nd and 3rd gears and hit the throttle.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                              "Or I could just leave them in there for a while till they come back into spec!!"

forget this idea- it will take too long. Besides I'd worry about a shim exiting a bucket.
                              The easy way is to go into the shim grinding business , knowing that you or next guy will be grinding again.
                              The better way unfortunately is to shorten valve stems aiming for needed shims in the 2.7 mm range which are plentiful.
                              Yea man. looks like im surface grinding. No worries, my brother is a machine shop foreman.
                              The waiting till they come back into spec comment was me cracking a silly joke!!

Comment

Working...
                              X