valve adjustment/timing GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve adjustment/timing GS1100E

First valve adjustment with the bike in my ownership. I've read the article on the 16 valve adjustment by Mr. Matchless on bikecliff's site. And of course the factory manual.

When I line up the "t" mark in the timing window, the notches on the camshafts aren't lined up very well. And vise versa.

Does this mean my timing is off? It makes more sense to me to line up the cam notches for the valve adjustment. The valves need way more clearance in any case, so this needs to be addressed. Does it matter in what order I adjust the timing and valve clearances?

EDIT: So I just read that the ignition timing requires no maintenance, so presumably it is ok. So is it better then to line up the notches just so, or use the T-mark?

Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2015, 02:12 PM.

That is fine
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      That is fine
      Or is his crank tweaked ? It is an 82........
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        That is fine
        Using the cam notches or the T mark?

Comment

Always use TDC
          I thought you were taking a pic of the cam ends with it on TDC
          If so it is fine
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
            Or is his crank tweaked ? It is an 82........
            The notches are so close it would be hard to measure from the spark plug hole. I'd use a degree wheel and a piston stop.
            It looks fine to me.

Comment

So with the T line lined up it is at TDC? I just adjusted all of the valves with the T mark lined up as in the pic. They ALL needed more gap.

Comment

Are you using a manual or have you done this before?
                You use TDC for 1&4 for some valves and TDC for 2&3 to do others.
                I personally just make sure the cam lobe is facing away from the lifter/tappets being adjusted.

Comment

I am using the factory manual, and I've done this before but only on the Tiger. The Triumph has a window in the crankcase that you can drop a screwdriver into to get TDC, so no need to pull the points cover.

I followed the diagram in the manual to adjust the valves, using the 2 TDC positions. I didn't realize the "T" notch indicated TDC. Now I know!

I'll double check they were done correctly looking at the cam lobes as you said just to make sure.

Comment

Working...
                  X