No announcement yet.

oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What cause the gasket to blow when doing a valve adjustment is simple..nothing. By doing the adjustment you cant blow a head gasket.

What blows head gaskets is they get weak and slowly get weaker and weaker at some spot. COMPRESSION blows the last tiny bit of gasket that was holding back the oil away and then you have a leak. And YES I have had head gaskets blow while cranking to start a bike. The compression in the cylinders finally ( just so happened at that particular time ) finished it off. You dont have to have a running engine at redline to blow them. Yours could have blown just seconds after firing off and then you saw it.... if its whats leaking like I think it is.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Very interested in the cure as I have the same issue. No helicoil involved on mine. Already replace valve cover gasket. Not coming from rear of cover. Looks like it is coming from between the head and cylinder. Head gasket is new also.

Comment

Any chance to post a pic of relevant area, with bike on center stand?
        GS1000G '81

Comment

With such an high number of views. I felt not correct, leaving the reader guessing;

problem was a section of the valve cover gasket, had squeezed out a little, near the bolt casting.

That was caused by a combination of overtightening the bolt and the application of RTV (albeit a really tiny smear) on both the surfaces, spurred by a previous leak/ooze;

There might be no correlation between where the leak takes place and where it manifests, given the maze of cooling hollows which run longitudinally and trasversely on both cylinder head and cylinder base, as was rigthly suggested, and it just takes a lean of the bike to the left or right, for the liquid to follow a gravity path.

My suggestions to whomever is in this predicament are:

use at any cost, a torque wrench (torque to 0,9Kg*m/ 6,5lb*f);

do not use any RTV sealant in combination with a gasket.

Thanks
          Last edited by Lorenzo; 07-29-2016, 03:06 PM.
          GS1000G '81

Comment

I'll put my $.02 in for whats its worth.... If it wasn't leaking before valve adjustment and now it is, my thought would be the valve cover gasket...at least its the only thing you messed with that could cause an oil leak. Easy enough to verify and check...

Comment

520eek, the first post was from april 2015;
              reason I reopened it, was to impress it the seal of retrospective knowledge, once the problem had been solved, in a bid to help fellow bikers,dealing with the same problem.
              Thanks anyway for the interest.
              Last edited by Lorenzo; 07-30-2016, 09:35 PM.
              GS1000G '81

Comment

Working...
              X