Stuck Clutch Cover Dowel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck Clutch Cover Dowel

I'm replacing my clutch cover with a spare one I polished up. The polished cover has one of the dowels stuck in it and the corresponding hole on the engine side also has a dowel stuck there. I'm trying to remove the one from the clutch cover to avoid buggering up on the engine side. At least I can use the original cover if I somehow screw up the polished one. I've tried penetrant and tapping with a hard plastic mallet to no avail. I even tried to grab the dowel with channel locks with a little padding between the jaws. I have a spare dowel so I then tried to grab the bare dowel with the channel locks. No luck. I also tried tapping straight down on the dowel to shock it. The cover is now laying "dowel-side" up with PB Blaster soaking down into the hole (hopefully). Anybody know any tricks for this?
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

I have used a dent puller on a pair of needle nosed vice grips.

I also have another pair of needle nose vice grips that have a plate welded to one side at 90* to allow "tapping" and do the same thing as the dent puller.

*I don't recommend destroying GOOD tools to make one time use tools.*

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I will see what I have laying around to improvise with after a while soaking.
      1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Have you tried heat? Aluminum expands more than steel, the aluminum hole should get bigger than the steel dowel pin.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I second the use of heat, a small propane torch for the heat applied to the cover surrounding the pin and your grips on the pin with a twisting pressure and you will know when it let's go, then just pull it out.

V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

vice grips. heat, and pull it out while twisting at same time
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thanks for the help. I did try heat originally but only with a heat gun. I'm not sure that counts but it's all I have right now. I googled this situation on the web and it seems they can be pretty stubborn sometimes.
              1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Thanks, got it. Seems even the Harbor Freight heat gun is enough to make a difference. I was just more persistent this time. It started to twist pretty soon but it was surprising how much longer it took to get it to pullout. Eventually I locked on it with some needle nose vice grips so the needle ends extended past the lip of the cover so I could hammer on (abuse) them. That finally worked but it was surprising how it tightened up fairly quickly if i didn't keep heating the aluminum. Anyway, deed is done thanks to GSR help.
                1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Working...
                X