Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

going to use clip instead of rivet question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

going to use clip instead of rivet question.

Hi all just got new 630 oring chain n sprockets for my 1980 gsx 750. That's me run out of funds,cant afford a rivet tool,no one around with one,so was going to get a clip.i know closed end has to be in wheel rotation direction,is there any way once its on it can be strengthened,a small spot weld to make sure it doesn't come off?!and can you tell me where the 4 little rubber orings are meant to sit?? First chain n sprockets change! Thanks ��

Some people will dab some RTV or set some safety wire on their clips to make sure they don't go anywhere.

The O-rings should go between the inner and outer plates. So put two on the master first, then two after pushing the master through but before putting on the outer plate. They should have included some grease to grease up the master pins before installation.

Comment

Thanks for quick reply.may just put on clip,then can drive to somewhere to get rivet done properly! Big help cheers

Comment

Ive used a vise grip to gently put it into and hold it in place, then used a center punch while the rivet was on the rear sprocket area to flair the rivet head. Worked fine.
        Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple:twistedevil:, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
        Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
        Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Safety wire rtv cemetery punch do all you don't want it to come off

Comment

fit it correctly and it wont come off.
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thankyou all,am going to use till get to friend with the right tool,not sure enough to attemt. Cheers for all the replies ��

Comment

No need for a special tool. Use two hammers - set one behind the chain as an anvil and use the smaller one to flatten over the soft rivet head of the perma-link. There's a knack to it, but it works fine.
                ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Or make a tool using an old junky pair of vice grips. weld a bead on one side of the jaws and fashoin it to suit the peen and squeeze it down..reset the jaws a few times and progressively peen the rivet to hold the link together.

Same principle applies to using a C clamp. Weld a bead up and fashion it into a peening tool
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
                    Ive used a vise grip to gently put it into and hold it in place
                    RK says dont do that. Use the special tool to set the plate. I didnt have one so I used a variation of the vice grip.

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                    fit it correctly and it wont come off.
                    Thats what I did.
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                      X