Slow speed at high rpms ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow speed at high rpms ?

Hey all. Im having some issues here with my 82 GS550L. First of all it is chopped with Uni Pods. But I have rejetted it and it runs through the full rpm range without hesitations or any issues. However, it seems to me like I am pretty high in the rev range and only going like 60-65 in 6th gear.

My rear sprocket is a 49T and the front is like a 14 or 15. The low end is pretty nasty on the bike, it just seems to me thats prettty slow for wound out in 6th gear. I wondered a couple things. First of all obviously if it was my sprocket sizing. Or maybe my tuning. My plugs look great though, all 4 caramel colored. My exhaust is chopped but i have thumb screws in them. I wonder if it is closing off the exhaust too much since its perpendicular in my pipe on each side. My mains are 105 outside and 107.5s inner and floats are set correctly. Like I said, It doesn't sputter or hesitate or anything. It just seems like thats all the ass its got.

Also no matter how I adjust my clutch the damn thing wants to push with the clutch in. I wonder if its slipping in 6th. But once I start moving the clutch is great. 1st-3rd its a fast bike.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

Dave

What exactly are your RPMs at 65 MPH? These bikes are designed to run at "high" RPM compared to other (non Japanese) bikes.

Comment

Stock your front sprocket should be a 15T and the rear should be a 45T from what I am seeing. So that 49T rear is causing you to run higher revs. Your current gearing assuming a 15T front is 3.267 vs 3.0 for stock. If you have a 14T front your gearing is 3.5. As you can see you are definitely turning more rpm than stock. I'd go back to stock and go from there. You may have to pull a link out of your chain if you run out of adjuster.

Comment

Well I upped the jets and its runs quite a bit stronger, but I need a new sprocket soon, Ill go with a 45T. Thanks !

Comment

Working...
        X