Transmission shifting help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission shifting help.

Hello, I'm a relatively new rider, so I'm still getting used to the clutch and shifting on my 81 gs450. When I'm shifting up, depending one speed, there is usually a clunk sound. When I'm coming up to a stop, I pull in the clutch and down shift while braking, but if I'm going quick still while down shifting there's a clunk for each gear but if I shift from 2nd to first while going more than 10mph there's a bit of a grinding sound as the lever is going down, and it shifts into neutral and them I have to press again for 1st. All this may be normal I just don't want to be damaging my transmission. And when speeding up, shifting through all gears, what rpm should I usually be shifting at. Is it bad to be cruising in 5th or 6th at 30 or 40 mph. By the way I am never using clutch less shifting and always have the clutch in all the way, so that's not the problem. I just want to know what would possibly damage my transmission over time so that I can stop that from happening.

Hello, I'm a relatively new rider, so I'm still getting used to the clutch and shifting on my 81 gs450.
    Welcome! I was in the same boat just a few years ago so I understand where you're coming from.

When I'm shifting up, depending one speed, there is usually a clunk sound.
    Clunk sound upon shifting is pretty normal for these bikes. It lessens as the process of shifting becomes muscule memory and you get smoother at it.

but if I shift from 2nd to first while going more than 10mph there's a bit of a grinding sound as the lever is going down, and it shifts into neutral and them I have to press again for 1st. All this may be normal I just don't want to be damaging my transmission.
    This used to happen to me. What seems to help is letting out the clutch into the friction zone while in second, just a bit, right before you downshift into first.

Don't grind the transmission, grinding is bad. It means you're doing something wrong and eventually you'll round off the dogs in the transmission and when those get rounded off, the bike will have a harder time staying in the gear you selected.

And when speeding up, shifting through all gears, what rpm should I usually be shifting at. Is it bad to be cruising in 5th or 6th at 30 or 40 mph.
    This is mostly a matter of taste and situation. You can shift and ride at whatever RPM you want pretty much. I myself tend to keep the RPMs in the 4-5k region while just cruising, regardless of road speed. But again, this varies by rider, motorcycle, and situation.

Avoid lugging the engine. And don't afraid to wind it out now and again. Won't hurt it at all. GS engines like high RPMs.

By the way I am never using clutch less shifting and always have the clutch in all the way, so that's not the problem.
    You're probably pulling the clutch in all the way to upshift, which is fine but as your skills improve, try to pull the clutch in part way to the friction zone as you shift instead of disengaging it all the way. It will make your shifting faster and smoother. Most of all, take your time and try to stay relaxed. It takes some people (myself certainly included) a long time to learn how to shift smoothly.

Once you learn to upshift fairly smoothly, look into engine braking while down shifting. It will help you understand what the bike is doing and will make you a better rider in the long run even if you choose not to use it in all situations.
    Last edited by eil; 05-01-2015, 12:37 PM.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Have you taken a MSF course yet? If not, please do as that will help you become more comfortable with your shifting.

Will it hurt the engine to cruise in 5th at 30? Probably not but it won't help either. As Eil suggested, let the engine wind out between shifts; I usually try to shift somewhere around the 4000-5000 RPM mark and sometimes higher depending on how I want to ride that day or the traffic situation I'm in.

When was the last oil change?
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

All of the above is great info, check that the lever doesn't have too much free-play as well

Comment

Working...
        X