Help Installing Cam Chain Guide for a 1980 GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Installing Cam Chain Guide for a 1980 GS850

Hi gang - I'm at the point of my rebuild where I'm trying to get the cam chain and sprockets back in, and I'm having some issues getting the exhaust side chain guide to seat properly (front). After doing some searches, I understand that the guide should fit right into the pocket flush with the heads if it's in correctly, but I can't seem to get it that far in. I'm assuming the guide goes in before the sprockets do. Any tips or suggestions of how to seat that thing properly would be great appreciated.

This is the guide I'm talking about:

'79 GS750 - 4th and current ride...first since 1983
    '73 CB350 - 1st ride
    '76 GT750 - 2nd ride - the "water buffalo" - sold to buy an engagement ring
    '79 RD400F Daytona Special - 3rd ride, the last of the street legal US 2-strokes - sold to buy a house

I seem to remember that happening to me. The chain can bunch up at the crank sprocket, which will keep the guide from seating. Lift the chain so there's no slack, and you may need to turn the crank half a turn to clear it. Keep the slack out of the chain until the guide is seated.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Thanks. That worked like a charm!
      Last edited by knotscott; 05-03-2015, 01:07 PM.
      '79 GS750 - 4th and current ride...first since 1983
      '73 CB350 - 1st ride
      '76 GT750 - 2nd ride - the "water buffalo" - sold to buy an engagement ring
      '79 RD400F Daytona Special - 3rd ride, the last of the street legal US 2-strokes - sold to buy a house

Comment

Working...
      X