winterizing a bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

winterizing a bike

Might be the wrong time of year to think about winterizing but after getting my bike ready for the season I might do something different next year. Normally I drain as much fuel as i can and add stabil and drain the carbs but it seems gasket and o rings can dry out that way. Next fall I am going to try http://www.aspenfuel.co.uk/products/...kylate-petrol/ this stuff and leave it in my carbs. I am also going to block off my intake and and carb lines vents so there is less chance of the fuel in the carbs from evaporating.

Here's what I have done for years with good results. On my last ride,I add the recommended storage dose (or bit more) of Stabil marine version (red). This then circulates thru carb circuits on the ride. I aim to leave my tank about 1/4 full at shutdown . I don't drain anything but I remove gas tank and store in place where temps don't fluctuate. In spring, I reinstall tank, add some fresh gas, and away we go. This method has always work on bike, boats ,generators, etc for me. Yes, fuel will evaporate slowly out of fuel bowls over winter but after 5 or 6 months, there will still be some fuel in them unless sun has been beating on them .
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

This has been hashed and re-hashed numerous times, but here is my method:

When it's time to park the bike(s), I add about double the recommended dose of Stabil (so far, just the standard red stuff, have not tried the Marine version) to a partial tank. I then ride the half mile to the gas station and fill the tank. I then ride home, but go "around the block". Depending on the weather and how much time I have available, that might be 2, 5, 10 or 25 miles, depending on which "block" I go around. I then change the oil and run it for a bit to circulate the new oil and check for leaks. Put the bike on the centerstand and cover it with a sheet to keep most of the dust off it.

With a few obvious modifications to the list, I do the same thing for the snowblower when I "summerize" it.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
      X