Cylinder head gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder head gasket

I'm going to be replacing the valve stem seals on my '81 GS650GL. What are the odds that I'll have to replace the head gasket? I just checked Babbits and the cost is $115US, which is like $1,000,000 CDN, or something like that . That really shocked me and I obviously do not want to go down that road if I don't have to. I remember the condition of the valve cover gasket when I pulled it - not good and in several pieces. Should I be expecting the same with the head gasket?

Generally speaking the head gasket is going to come off in one piece (or maybe one big piece plus a few corner seals, and a cam chain tunnel o-ring?). That having been said: you're going to have to replace it. And the base gasket as well.

There was one member a couple of years back that managed the valve stem seal change without pulling the head. So it's possible - but not easy.

Comment

I slapped one together with an old head gasket to run for a while just to see if the engine, transmission, etc. was going to be any good. It only leaked a little bit, but I was lucky and didn't push my luck very long. If you want a clean dry engine get a new gasket and get the OEM Suzuki one. Base gasket too.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I completely forgot about Fleabay - bought an OEM gasket last night, and the base gasket from Babbits, including the O-rings. This valve seal replacement job keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Comment

Schnitz racing ... they are much cheaper and they sell Cometic Gaskets!
          $55US + as low as $10Us shipping ... therefore only .5milllion $ CAN

motorcycle, suzuki, gsxr, hayabusa, zx14, zx10, zx12, gsxr1000, ecu, reflash, flash, flashing, performance, horsepower, motorcycle, drag, racing, motorcycle racing, motorcycle racing parts, performance motorcycle parts, grudge, racing

Comment

Originally posted by Skinner View Post
            I'm going to be replacing the valve stem seals on my '81 GS650GL. What are the odds that I'll have to replace the head gasket? I just checked Babbits and the cost is $115US, which is like $1,000,000 CDN, or something like that . That really shocked me and I obviously do not want to go down that road if I don't have to. I remember the condition of the valve cover gasket when I pulled it - not good and in several pieces. Should I be expecting the same with the head gasket?
            I just posted in response to this but it was only for GS1100-1150 sorry about that dude ...

Comment

Good morning,
              Sounds like a major project, but then my 1150 came apart to hopefully stop an annoying oil leak from the base gasket; spent many $$$$ and hours to achieve it (gaskets, rings, valve seals etc.).
              You may find that the valve / guide clearance is excessive, if it is the new seals will not last long, or oil could be coming up past the pistons?
              If you are sure that only seals are needed I would want to try and replace WITHOUT disturbing the head.
              Oil will typically go down the intake valve more due to vacuum there at idle / part throttle..
              I am aware of two general techniques:
              1. Lower a piston, feed a bunch of thin rope thro' the plug hole, bring the piston back up towards the top, the rope will now hold the valves closed. Next trick is to cobble up a device to compress the valve spring. On my lawn mower springs were weak enough to just do it by hand... Think about a "lever", maybe from a cam bearing cap attachment?

2. Car guys sometimes have an air line fitting for the spark plug, and use compressed air in the cylinder to do the same thing; but I have no experience with it.

Hope I am not tooo late
              Good luck

Comment

Nope, not too late. I won't be doing this for another month or so because I'm waiting on parts. Some were ordered from Babbits in Muskegon, Michigan, and we are camping there over Canada Day. Picking them up at the store saves me a ton on shipping to Canada. But I digress...

I may try to replace the seals without removing the head. I checked compression last night - it ranged from 148 to 152, so I'm quite certain the rings and gaskets are just fine. There's only 20,000km on the engine. That said, I ordered a NOS head gasket, base gasket and O-rings just in case I go full monty and tear it down. I may just wait until the fall when the riding season ends. I just don't like the cloud of smoke each time I start the bike. It stops after 15 or 20 seconds but the blue cloud fills the garage or driveway.

Cheers!
                K

Comment

Originally posted by Skinner View Post
                  But I digress...I may just wait until the fall when the riding season ends. I just don't like the cloud of smoke each time I start the bike. It stops after 15 or 20 seconds but the blue cloud fills the garage or driveway.

Cheers!
                  K

Has your riding season drawn to a close and have you made progress with this?
                  '83 GS650G
                  '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                  X