Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Timing - next 1150 question

Hi again,
    The motor is slowly going back together, head and base gaskets seem to have "settled down" at 40ft-lbs after multiple re-torqueing, cams are loosely in place, all looks fine EXCEPT, on p 109 of my copy of the manual Suzuki give a picture of what the chain links must look like at the head top face, I cannot think why this would matter, and of course mine is one roller off.
    Am I missing something?? Or did Suzuki? I figure that the chain is just one tooth different on the crank sprocket and that it will make no difference to the final timing...
    Timing at the crank marks is good, marks for the Ex cam look good, and counted the 20 pins to the Int cam marker. This is not the 1st motor I have put together and do not recall worrying about what the chain links looked like before...
    I am 98% positive, but would appreciate confirmation..
    Cheers

It will make it easier if you can post some pictures of what you're dealing with.

I seem to recall that there is one misleading illustration in the service manual, where the number of pins between the arrow on the exhaust cam shaft and the #2 mark on the sprocket don't match reality. If that's what you're talking about, ignore it. It's not part of the instructions. (But the text of the instructions and all other illustrations are correct.)

When counting the pins between the sprockets, make sure you're counting from 1 and not from 0.

And finally, make sure to follow the instructions in the order that they are presented. I fought with getting my 850 back together because I was trying to take shortcuts and kept ending up one tooth off. If you backtrack and do everything in the right order, everything falls into place beautifully.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Rotate the crank 360 degrees & the chain pin will land like in the picture.
      Ray

Comment

Thank you Ray,
        So I ass u me that there is an odd number of teeth on the crank sprocket?
        Guess I can easily slip those cams out and make it look like that picture, but does it really matter??
        You are a whiz, thanks again,
        Trevor

Comment

Working...
        X