Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standard Shim size for a 850g

Hey any help please for my 1980 850g ,
    just wondering if the valve shim sizes are standard when the bike leaves the factory and if so what is the size ? have just brought a bike with only 10,000k on the clock and all the shims seem to have no clearance at all ! so just need a starting point please .
    Cheers

That's what happens as engine runs- clearance disappears. Hopefully your bike had valve clearance check 8k miles ago, but don't count on it! Here's a link to a guy with same bike and he has arranged info overload just for you.

i doubt that there is a standard shim thickness at factory setup. Do not buy ebay shims unless you know they are suzuki ones. There is a shim club exchange gizmo on here run by ghostgs1
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Welcome to the GSR! All the information you need can be found here. I suggest you start by going here http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ and downloading the service manual for your 850. The correct procedure for measuring valve clearances and replacing valve shims is described. There is also a "How To ..." guide with photos to illustrate the valve adjustment procedure.

When the bike left the factory, the shims were approximately in the thickness range 2.7x - 2.8x. Over time the valve clearances decrease, so you need to replace the shims with thinner ones in order to get the correct clearance. The shims are available in 0.05 mm steps. To help you keep track of shims and measurements, go to a post by member "Steve" and look in his signature, in order to send him a request for an Excel worksheet to do all the calculations for you.
      1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Hi and welcome to the group. Since you have little clearance if any, you need to get a very thin shims to determine what you are needing. You may be interested in the shim club, see my signature for the thread. Good luck with the clearance adjustment and enjoy your new bike. Ray
        "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
        GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
        1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
        1979 GS1000SN The new hope
        1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Working...
        X