1150 Starter Clutch #7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1150 Starter Clutch #7

I've put 1900 miles on the Kat, since I did a rebuild and one track day. The rebuild included, boring, new pistons, new starter clutch, new left end taper, cam chain and used rotor. The bike started intermittently, last time at The Ridge Motor Sports Park, It would not start in the morning. Then the rest of the day it started everytime I tried.

I haven't ridden the bike in almost a month and finally had a moment to have a look. Looked fine with the cover off, gear spun one way, locked the other.
    When I pulled the rotor, and the starter clutch gear off, a bolt fell into my hand. It was the one closest to the dowel pin. All the rollers were shagged and the gear surface was scored. The rollers had lost 1-2mm in diameter already. I have an extra set of rollers, pins and springs, so I thought I'll try some wet/dry sandpaper on the gear surface and see if that'll do anything. I retapped all the threads, cleaned all threads, male and female, applied red locktite, and started reassembing. When snugging the bolts down one kept spinning, the one closest to the dowel pin.

I then talked to a local motorcycle mechanic, who did the cylinder boring for me and asked for his expert opinion. He said I need a new rotor, but he had a glimmer of "just maybe" in his expression when I mentioned heli-coils, but then said, I wouldn't recommend it, I said longer bolt with nut? no, will damage the stator, 10mm bolts? no, have to trim down the head of the bolt to fit in the recess.

I figured, what the hell, I'm going to try a heli-coil anyway, If it doesn't work, I'll have to source a new rotor and SC again. Haven't tried starting it yet, I'll let you know what kind of noises I hear, hopefully just the bike starting up. I lagged and didn't take any pictures.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

AGAIN!!!, just WELD the thing & be DONE with it!!!
    Ray.

Comment

As one on a tight budget, im all for trying fixes, but isn't a blown starter clutch what started the whole rebuild saga?
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
        AGAIN!!!, just WELD the thing & be DONE with it!!!
        Ray.
        Yes Ray, I tried to have someone do it locally, per your expert advice, no experience, not comfortable doing it on a brand new left end. Would be cool to show the picture of the weld, instead of a pencil pointing at where to do it but I realize that's prized info, so it's all good. Belluci showed how he did it, but admitted maybe doing it differently next time. Also, the "Panic" in doing the weld for the mechanic was due to the unfamiliarity with actually what kind of metal it is, and what welding technique is required to do it properly.

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
        As one on a tight budget, im all for trying fixes, but isn't a blown starter clutch what started the whole rebuild saga?
        Yes, but I just spent $350 + on a brand new starter clutch and decent shaped rotor 2000 miles ago + $575 on a new left end and crankshaft freshening, should this be happening so soon?

Anyways, I did a 170 mile loop today, the bike protested in the morning on initial start up (snatching etc), but started after an initial fuss. Engine is way more quiet now, and fired up smoothly the rest of the day (5 times). As mentioned in many previous posts, I have the motor spin up before firing the coils. I also put a new starter brush plate in during the down time. Bike seemed happy, if a little stinky at idle.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

How is it prized info if I showed you EXACTLY where to weld, & your guy, with NO experience with these I might add, decided HE didn't
          want to do it??!!! I also told you that you could send it to me for welding & you declined. Don't keep crying about this issue, when you were told & SHOWN how to fix it, if you aren't going to listen.
          Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
            How is it prized info if I showed you EXACTLY where to weld, & your guy, with NO experience with these I might add, decided HE didn't
            want to do it??!!! I also told you that you could send it to me for welding & you declined. Don't keep crying about this issue, when you were told & SHOWN how to fix it, if you aren't going to listen.
            Ray.
            No crying here Ray,

I appreciate all the advice you've given me over the years.

Merely, stating what happened to my bike after 2000 miles, for other folks to understand. I totally agree with you, it can be done, and the mechanic was not comfortable doing it (lack of experience) and I did not want to wait or pay for shipping when I thought someone could do it locally. Lesson learned I guess. Or in my case probably not.

Comment

Well... after 300 miles, the heli coil attempt on the starter clutch and new starter motor brush plate seemed to work so far. Did another trackday at the Ridge yesterday. Perfect weather and the bike ran great. Even started first thing in the morning and fired the rest of the day. Only 50 laps, due to a new issue, a zipper on a one piece suit opening up mid session. I guess I only lost maybe 3 laps.

Comment

Working...
              X