Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When valve clearance cannot be arrived at with thinnest shim ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some do and some dont.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

When doing the head rebuilds, upon disassembly, pick a valve that is in the middle of the shim range. Measure fron the tip of the valve to tjhe bottom of the shim bore where the base sits. Write that number down. After you finish your work, tip the valves all to that dimension. You will find that most are back in the middle of the shim range,
      Speed Merchant
      http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

That is a good idea .. but can you explain for me where you are measuring :
        (I can see that as long as you take a valve in the middle range as long as you measure at the same points it will be ok but
        where are you measuring ?

"Measure from the tip of the valve" -
        to tjhe
        " bottom of the shim bore where the base sits"

the total / overall length is just fine ?
        (I attach a picture so we are signing from the same hymnsheet)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by ukjules; 07-20-2015, 11:00 AM.
        UKJULES
        ---------------------------------
        Owner of following bikes:
        1980 Suzuki GS550ET
        1977 Yamaha RD 250D
        1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
        1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Total length...."L"
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jay View Post
            When doing the head rebuilds, upon disassembly, pick a valve that is in the middle of the shim range. Measure fron the tip of the valve to tjhe bottom of the shim bore where the base sits. Write that number down. After you finish your work, tip the valves all to that dimension. You will find that most are back in the middle of the shim range,
            What I am interpreting is, measure from the tip of the valve, installed, to the bottom of the shim bucket bore, for a valve which has the mid range shim installed prior to disassembly. Measure the overall length of that valve, then machine all valves to that length, as in dimension "L", as chuck said.

is this what you mean Jay?
            1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
            1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Understood and thanks.
              UKJULES
              ---------------------------------
              Owner of following bikes:
              1980 Suzuki GS550ET
              1977 Yamaha RD 250D
              1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
              1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Hi again,
                After seats have been cleaned up and valve faces reground it is unlikely that you can just make all of the valves the same overall length, that is the problem that you are struggling with now.
                I believe that they should be measured individually, in their specific position, and then ground to be the same as one that is in the mid range of shim thicknesses. You should measure from any common machined face on the head.
                In an earlier post I said:
                I would expect Suzuki to give a dimension from the spring seat to the top of the valve stem as a reference for machine shops to adjust valve lengths after grinding valve seat and valve faces..
                That is what I was trying to say, and I think that is what the previous poster was also saying?
                My apologies if I am wrong, again; at least this is not a panic job..
                Regards to all

Comment

Originally posted by qcktvr View Post
                  Hi again,
                  After seats have been cleaned up and valve faces reground it is unlikely that you can just make all of the valves the same overall length, that is the problem that you are struggling with now.
                  I believe that they should be measured individually, in their specific position, and then ground to be the same as one that is in the mid range of shim thicknesses. You should measure from any common machined face on the head.
                  In an earlier post I said:
                  I would expect Suzuki to give a dimension from the spring seat to the top of the valve stem as a reference for machine shops to adjust valve lengths after grinding valve seat and valve faces..
                  That is what I was trying to say, and I think that is what the previous poster was also saying?
                  My apologies if I am wrong, again; at least this is not a panic job..
                  Regards to all
                  I agree. My post was my interpretation of what Big Jay posted.

After the seats are machined then valve height should be checked and valves machined to bring into mid shim range. However, if there was extreme stretch then the valve would need replacement because you would cut below the top of the keepers.

Hope Big Jay chimes in here.
                  1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
                  1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Working...
                  X