Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 GS750: Are these cam/journals damaged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS750: Are these cam/journals damaged?

Hey all, I'm helping a friend with his bike

1980 GS750 16 valve engine 19K

He picked it up and it died while he was riding it home. It had no airfilter or airbox lid and the airbox boots where radiator hose.

Compression was low in #2 and #3 so we pulled it apart. It looks to me like there is a lot of wear/damage on the cam journals and lobes but I was hoping to get your opinions on how bad or not bad this is. There is a distinct ridge on the lobe from the cam follower and I can feel rough spots on the journals in the head. I've heard this model ofter suffers from low oil pressure.

I don't have a micrometer to measure the lobes and I've got plastigauge on order for the journals.

Any help/info is appreciated

IMG_3276 by EJ, on Flickr

IMG_3275 by EJ, on Flickr

IMG_3277 by EJ, on Flickr

IMG_3274 by EJ, on Flickr
    Attached Files

The journals in the head are fine. The marks you see on the cam lobes is because that engine uses a split pad rocker arm for some stupid reason.
    Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
      The journals in the head are fine. The marks you see on the cam lobes is because that engine uses a split pad rocker arm for some stupid reason.
      Ray.
      So you think, as long as everything is in spec, they should be fine to re-use / re-install?
      Crazy! It seems like so much wear for so few miles..

Comment

Originally posted by ejether View Post
        It seems like so much wear for so few miles..
        19,000, very few miles with decent maintenance... A lifetime with none. Old oil wears things out slowly, but running it out of oil will ruin it very fast. You head has not been run out of oil.

What Ray said, I'd run it.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Cool, Thanks for your input guys.

The bike has a lot of other issues, so I don't thinks its going to end up being fixed by me and this guy but it could still make a good project for someone.

Comment

Working...
          X