1983 gs450t Clutch Sticking then Engages Abruptly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 gs450t Clutch Sticking then Engages Abruptly

So I jumped on the gs bandwagon and I love this little bike. Runs like a champ, everything works etc except for one big problem.

When pulling out, the clutch will stick and will not engage then all of a sudden it's all in. When moving it seems ok and you rarely if ever notice it and the bike shifts great. I adjusted the cable, the cable is moving free and is lubricated. Regardless of where it is set it does the same thing. I have even had it today where I tried pulling out and it would grab ever so slightly and had to rev it a bit to get it to kick in.

Sitting still with the bike off you don't feel any resistance. Only when at a stop. I took it to the dealer, they said the clutch is good and they cleaned and lubricated the assembly behind the cover and said the clutch push rod looks perfect. The said it was much better when I picked it up but it is exactly the same.

What else could it be?? It's almost like it gets stuck in a groove and you need to really dump it out to get past the sudden engagement. It takes great effort to pull out and keep it from stalling because it goes from very little engagement to all in suddenly.

Any help will be appreciated! !

Ryan from Harrisburg PA

"It's almost like it gets stuck in a groove "

probably does. Have you looked at parts fiche to understand how clutch actuactor works?

Shop online for OEM Clutch parts that fit your 1983 Suzuki GS450TX, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452

best to remove cover where cable goes in and inspect/clean the mechanism your self. Dealers dislike 30 yearold bikes, so they might have just brushed you off!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I looked at the pic and I honestly do not completely understand how it functions. I know where the actuator is where the cable goes into the case. Based upon my description what should I be looking for and at what location? Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any advice or directive would be great prior to me tearing into it

Comment

I can't really understand your descriptions, but also the clutch plates them selves can wear grooves into the clutch basket. How old and worn out is this bike? How well maintained?
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The bike only has 7700 miles and was never neglected. Let me try to better describe what's happening.

The bike shifts fine no slipping or anything odd. I just put 200 miles on it and it was great other than this:
          You pull out, slowly release the clutch while giving it some gas (typical), you feel the clutch begin to engage then nothing. Once you release the lever a bit more it engages abruptly. It feels like it is getting stuck on something then all of a sudden breaks free.
          It makes stop and go a nightmare. I don't know enough about the mechanism to determine where I should focus my attention. I'm hoping to get some pointers from you guys.
          Clutch Cable is newer and moves free. Adjusted it and nothing makes it better.

Comment

I would look at the clutch basket. Sometimes people put in aftermarket plates that dig grooves into the sides of the basket, even in a low mileage bike. Then the plates get stuck in these grooves, the clutch works as you describe. Does it make any funny noise as it abruptly engages?

Comment

Ill bet the helical actuator is gummed up. The shaft is peened onto the lever on these and can loosen over time.
              Mine was so dirty and gummed up from old grease and dirt that I had to disasemble mine polish it up and regrease it.
              Beware the small ball bearings.

Comment

Jeeprusty did you encounter a similar issue? What symptoms did you have?
                Also would I be able to visually analyze the clutch basket without taking it all the way apart. I'm assuming drain the oil and pull the side cover?
                I'm new to this old bike stuff so I appreciate everyone's help.

Comment

im not familiar with the 450 and its cases but I can pull my cover save the gasket and then pull the clutch plates out easily enough.
                  My prob witht he dirt and loose lever was inconsistent clutching.

I would look at the cable side first cos hey yah might rip a gasket so why bother if one side fixes it.

Comment

I don't have my 450 here to look at, but I'm pretty sure if you look down into the oil filler hole you can see the side of the clutch basket. The sides of the fingers of the basket should be smooth, if there are notches worn into the fingers where each clutch plate touches the basket you can see them.

Comment

I never thought about looking through the oil hole..good idea. I'm out of town now but will start there. Thanks

Comment

those are good ideas per sticking plates and dirt above but
                        With that mileage, it is not even broke in so being a little grabby wouldn't suprise me.

I think you may have to get used to it. When I am starting off up a hill, the throw involved for a slow engage is ...unmeasurable.

The "contact zone" is very short on these bikes and very near the end of the handlever's release, when adjusted to the manual's specs . The "long leverage feel" is just not built in to them in my experience with them.
                        I expect -but don't know- if you are used to newer bikes the clutch is a hard pull versus newer bikes with their fancy smanshy adjustments at levers ...these might seem pretty primitive and if you have smaller hands, it's probabably even more difficult to get used to.

Comment

Working...
                        X