Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS650E clutch gearshift questions

Hi all, I'm a newbie here, first post and all

I finally got my GS650E running 2 weeks ago. It's been a work in progress since I bought it as an unfinished cafe racer last year and that was my first mistake buying someone else's problems.

Anyway, been getting wiring, motobatt, frame, seat pan, fresh oil, etc done so can get it rideable and legal (original battery was just sitting on the swing arm as the frame had all the mounting tabs angle grinded off and the wiring was a bird's nest and there was no seat ).

So got one ride in 2 weekends ago, seemed to go well. Hadn't been started since January (6 months ago). Needed a new tyre so got that done during week and was on my way to get a warrant of fitness when I found I only had second gear and neutral. Had to ride home in second gear, thankfully wasn't far.

So drained oil, removed right side engine cover, and I can see what the issue is. The drive pin holder is screwed to pieces which must of been done by the cam no.1 stopper rubbing on it. Hopefully nothing else is destroyed, the clutch plates all look fine.

So the questions are is the drive pin holder and the cam no.1 stopper a universal part for several GS engines or do I need these specific parts for my GS650E?

Thanks for your advice, Ian

Below is a photo of what is left of the drive pin holder

2015-08-01 12.28.50.jpg
    Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2015, 12:36 AM. Reason: better reworded

Another photo
    2015-08-01 12.47.47.jpg

Comment

The cam no.1 stopper seems okay. Should I replace it anyway?
      2015-08-01 12.47.38.jpg

Comment

Working...
      X