No announcement yet.

Stripped out valve cover hold down bolt hole #4 exh 85 GS1150 EF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to hear of your problem, I recently went down the Helicoil road with some of these threads on my 1150, but the bosses were not cracked, so the coils worked but were not easy to put in, I wasted several... this 7mm kit does not show the insertion tool, which is pretty important; I found that they went in better if well lubed with oil, but will they hold as well??

[QUOTE=posplayr;2210489]Yes M7.0x1.0 means 7mm diameter and 1 thread per mm. I'm just realizing you are talking cam caps; yes very easy to strip. The M6.0x1.0 are used very commonly as case bolts. You should have some of them as well. An occasional M5.0x0.8.

I would buy something like this and get a more popular size for a larger multi size kit.

7mm "Timeserts" are available and would be better if the boss is cracked, but way more expensive and the head/flange may need a counterbore..
    I believe that replacing the complete cap will be a last resort, (as they would have been line bored with the head) and require careful fitting.
    After welding I would still be concerned about the thing distorting and taking away the bearing clearance, not sure how critical this is for a Suzuki cam, but could be a disaster on a crank...
    Just sharing some thoughts
    Good luck

Comment

Its all done, that why he bolted the cap down before any work was done. He thought it might distort if he didn't. Cost me $60 but the heli-coil kit was going to be $46 and he didn't think it would hold with the 1- 1/4 & 1- 1/8 inch crack in it. We will see how it works, if it will turn over by hand it should be OK. He is about the best machinist Ive ever known, he specializes in antique steam tractor restorations along with every day work. If it done turn over Ill plastigauge it & hone it with a wheel cylinder hone until it does

Comment

Repair worked perfect, just thought Id let you guys know

Comment

Originally posted by Katarat View Post
          Repair worked perfect, just thought Id let you guys know

Pictures are always nice.

Comment

Sorry, never even gave it a thought and its all back together again. Basically he just aluminum welded it up redrilled it and retapped it in the correct metric size. I did have to grind it down so the cam hold down bolt would go all the way down & the 10mm 1/4 inch drive socket would fit on

Comment

Sorry, never even gave it a thought and its all back together again. Basically he just aluminum welded it up redrilled it and retapped it in the correct metric size. I did have to grind it down so the cam hold down bolt would go all the way down & the 10mm 1/4 inch drive socket would fit on

Yea we know.

Comment

Speed Merchant
                http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

It wasn't the bolt that was bad, it was the threaded hole it screwed into, but thanks

Comment

It wasn't the bolt that was bad, it was the threaded hole it screwed into, but thanks
                    I think Jay was showing that he has 1mm oversize bolts made to fit. Just tap the 7mm threads to 8mm and use the new aluminum bolts.

Comment

Nice, but too late for me now as I bought a couple of spare screws, new washers and then a pile of 7mm Helicoil stuff, quite an adventure..
                      Another, "if only".
                      Regards

Comment

Working...
                      X