Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To seal or not to seal? (Valve cover/half moons)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To seal or not to seal? (Valve cover/half moons)

I have been searching around a fair bit on here and found some conflicting information about whether or not one should use sealant on an OEM valve cover gasket. I've read everything from some oil on each side to sealant on both sides. Hoping for some sort of conclusive thing, but maybe I am doomed not to have it.

Any thoughts?

Also, what about new half moon seals? Sealant or no?

Thanks

Actually both grease and sealant. I do the valve cover side with a very thin film of a non hardening sealant and the cylinder side a light smear with grease. That way next time you remove the cover you're guaranteed that the gasket will come off cleanly with cover.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

They are metal covered with thin rubber. First time they are used the metal squishes and takes that form and it doesnt spring back. So, if your gonna reuse them seal them.

I use a thin smear of Threebond 1184 in the head recess and across the tops of the half moons and extend it a little past the edges of the head and half moons meeting points. As youll see on the tube it is a SEMI hardening agent and it will seal them leak free.

New ones generally dont require sealing as they havent been squished yet..
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

There are a lot of ways to go, and to a degree it comes down to personal preference. I myself use a very thin smear of grease on the gasket and a thin coat of RTV on the round portion of the half-moons. No leaks yet.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
          Actually both grease and sealant. I do the valve cover side with a very thin film of a non hardening sealant and the cylinder side a light smear with grease. That way next time you remove the cover you're guaranteed that the gasket will come off cleanly with cover.
          This is golden advice. <four thumbs up>
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I think he actually posted where he puts the sealer and grease in reverse order. Least thats the way i read it.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Lightly stick the gasket to the cover - the gasket comes off with the cover and can be re-used. Stick the gasket to the engine, you're guaranteed to wreck it when doing the work. I've tried grease on both sides, but 50/50 results on re-use; same with dry fitting.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
              X