1979 Suzuki 850 gs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 Suzuki 850 gs

Hey guys , new to the forum and hopefully we can get some great answers. So just finishing a 1979 Gs 850 not quite frame off restoration but about 90% restoration. We rebuilt the head, honed and re-ringed cylinders. No need for overbore as they were in great shape. Anyway all said and done , fired up bike and ran great.Problem is the oil is like malted milk, even after 5 minutes of running. Changed all the milky oil out including filter etc, took for a ride ( 10 Minutes) and oil was right back to a milkshake. Can anyone tell me what's wrong ? So all new top end, re-ringed, all new Athena gaskets and o-rings, carbs all rebuilt, runs great ? Last run, I just put fresh oil in,took it out for 10 minute ride max, and all frothy milk?
    Any help would be really appreciated, thank you

Only thing I know that produces that is condensation/water. Have you tried running it longer, maybe 20-35 minutes of riding and seeing if it goes away? Constant short runs amplifies the condensation as it doesn't get off enough to burn it off. Interested to hear what others say

Comment

yes I haven't had this issue myself but do seem to remember a number of threads on the issue talking about condensation. Try the search function. I'm guessing there are no leaks?
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Like Jeff mentioned, i think an hour run at highway speeds will burn off any condensation that has built up and is in the oil.

Just thought of something else...is the oil milky in colour or just "frothy" with bubbles?
        I have seen oil over-filled engines puke out a frothy mixture. Check your oil levels.
        Last edited by steve murdoch; 08-16-2015, 08:44 AM. Reason: c.r.s.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm nervous to ride it any further as I don't want to cause any damage. Originally 3.6 litres oil in system, turned milky immediatlety.Drained it all, leaned new filter . Started again with just 3 litres of lucase 10-40 mc oil same thing right away after short ride. We're talking drained all the oil, new stuff in and rode all within half hour. I'm wondering if the o ring with head gasket didn't seat right ? and/or would a head gasket failure cause this milkshake oil ?

Comment

Originally posted by alamobikes View Post
            Thanks guys, I'm nervous to ride it any further as I don't want to cause any damage. Originally 3.6 litres oil in system, turned milky immediatlety.Drained it all, leaned new filter . Started again with just 3 litres of lucase 10-40 mc oil same thing right away after short ride. We're talking drained all the oil, new stuff in and rode all within half hour. I'm wondering if the o ring with head gasket didn't seat right ? and/or would a head gasket failure cause this milkshake oil ?
            Further define what you call milkshake oil. Does it look whitish? Oil with condensation will kind of look like black coffee with a splash of cream. Is it just frothy oil, like it's been aerated or something? Is the oil light connected and is it coming on?

Comment

I've seen people freak out before because the oil is simply aerated and frothy. It sort of looks anywhere between caramel and frappucino...

If you shut off the engine before it's fully warmed up, you'll also often notice a bit of condensation -- this can look like actual water droplets on the glass or a frothy layer in the oil. Normal and harmless.

If it's just aerated, wait a bit and it'll look more normal.

Also, make sure it's not overfilled (read oil level on the centerstand), and make sure the crankcase breather hose is not clogged and the breather fitting on the airbox is not clogged.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks guys, sounds like it just needs to be run longer so that's what i'll do. Thanks everyone for all your input !

Comment

The dew point of combustion gases is quite high. Something of the order of 160F. Anything it touches below that temperature will condense water out and it runs to the bottom. Ask your self how long until every part of the inside of the motor and the oil is above that temperature. Even then that only stops the new condensation forming. You still have to drive the stuff out from the oil. Short trips on big motors are water makers.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
                  X