New gasket set?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New gasket set?

Looking to tear into my motor and install all new gaskets to stop the little leaks I have. The motor runs strong just drips a little and makes some noise that I'd like to investigate. Probably change the cam chain while I'm in there. I just need some help finding a good place for gaskets. The problem I have is that I would like a complete set for a 750, but also an 850 head gasket. I was told it is bored to 850, but people are full of stories. I'd like to have one of each head gasket just in case. Any help would be great!

What leaks make it worthwhile to dismantle it? What noise? Pick our brains, you're problems may not be nearly as bad as you think.

If you're thinking of changing the cam chain, you're going to be splitting the cases, so that's taking it all the way apart. That's a lot of work for little reason given, unless you just want the experience of doing it. Cam chains rarely need replacing except under extreme usage scenarios. What indication do you have that it needs replaced?

For some gaskets (just about any cover) an aftermarket gasket is fine. We've learned through bitter experience that anything other than OEM for other major gaskets and seals can result in near immediate failure.

Head gaskets aren't cheap, so you may decide to wait until lit's apart to see what you need.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Use a soft link chain for the cam - avoids splitting the cases. I've used them many times and never had the slightest problem.
      ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

OEM only for me.

What 750 are you talking about?

This is why you don't use aftermarket gaskets:

Last edited by bwringer; 08-26-2015, 01:49 PM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I have a small leak around the base of the cylinders on the right side and I believe another one somewhere around the head. Haven't found that one yet. I know the previous owner told me he went cheap on gaskets and didn't do them correctly. I would just like to break into the motor and check it out for myself. I clean the motor, but it leaks enough that it is dirty after a few rides and I would like to fix that issue. Oil level always looks good so its nothing serious, just a major pain since I would like to get the bike cleaned up and looking good.
          A friend of mine listened to the bike which makes a bit of a clacking sound when idling nothing crazy and at certain speeds/rpms the noise is noticeable. It has a bit of a pattern to the noise, but only at certain rpms. it tends to not be as noticeable at lower rpms or highway speeds. Anything in the 30-40 mph range it is noticeable. He said possible lose chain making the noise. I was told by a local mechanic that is wasn't something to worry about as the bike is old and makes a little noise. I just figured since I have the help and he is experienced with older bikes with all of the right tools that we might as well investigate. With a heat index of 104-108 everyday lately I don't mind having the bike sit a part for the week since I'm not riding much right now anyway.
          Looking through Z1 it looks like there is a cam chain that has a master link. Would this eliminate the trouble of splitting the case? If so how difficult is it to feed the chain down into the case and back up?

Comment

Join the new chain onto the old one; just feed the chain carefully, making sure to keep the new and old chain engaged on the cams as you go. When the new chain is fully around the sprockets, you disconnect the old one from it, and insert the soft rivet link. As soon as you feel any blocking up, stop, because it's possible to have a ruck of chain on the crank sprocket. This is easily avoided by being slow and careful. It's not a major job, but sure beats the hell out of splitting cases.
            ---- Dave

Comment

The question of the cam chain can be settled by taking the cam cover off and checking for stretch. There's a spec published in the service manuals for how long it should be over so many links. If the cam chain is indeed making noise, it could be as simple as the tensioner being set up wrong. Anyhow, it sounds like the top end will have to come off to deal with the oil leaks. Once everything in there is inspected, you'll know what needs replaced.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

The cam chain typically lasts the life of the engine. To measure is to know (if there is wear). Don't assume.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

How many hundreds of thousands of miles is on this engine?
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Cam chains tend to wear out quicker when subjected to lots of accelerative wear, same as anything else in the engine. A bike which has been used for long journeys at steady speeds will show very little, if any, camchain wear (but the guides may tell a different story, depending on the oil used and frequency of changes).
                    Loads and speeds.
                    ---- Dave

Comment

Miles are unknown, I wouldn't even be able to give an estimate. I haven't put many on it, but the guy I bought if from rebuilt it with an 850 kit, supposedly. Just made me nervous when he said he did it on the cheap and admitted one of the gaskets was rigged up as best he could. Id like to know what I'm working with and investigate. Supposedly put in performance cams as well, I guess I'll find out. If everything checks out new gaskets will hopefully solve my leak and she'll be cleaned up and looking good by winter, when I can ride comfortably down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                        Cam chains tend to wear out quicker when subjected to lots of accelerative wear, same as anything else in the engine. A bike which has been used for long journeys at steady speeds will show very little, if any, camchain wear (but the guides may tell a different story, depending on the oil used and frequency of changes).
                        Loads and speeds.
                        UK based guys always replacing cam chains. This shows up often in articles about old bikes. Must be something in your fish and chips causing concern about cam chains.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

" Low bars, short chain life. High bars, long chain life"

- Sir Sidney Camm
                          97 R1100R
                          Previous
                          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Meh, I ran the **** out of my first 550, probably never below the redline for very long. Whooped the living **** out of it at every opportunity. Not too good about oil changes or anything else. Took it all apart due to leakage at something over 100,000 miles, the chain looked brand new. Did all the wear measurements, it was all good. Put it back in and ran it another 100,000 or so miles, but that's a different story. I have seen broken chains but they were in engines that were run completely out of oil.
                            I have checked for cam chain wear on dozens of GSes, none have required a new cam chain. You drag racer dudes probably have different results, but that's because all o y'all are crazy...

Check it out for sure but I wouldn't be replacing the chain just because some old Triumph or Norton broke a chain once.
                            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              UK based guys always replacing cam chains. This shows up often in articles about old bikes. Must be something in your fish and chips causing concern about cam chains.
                              Been over-sensitised to camchains after being used as factory test subjects by Honda too many times.
                              ---- Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X