80 850g clutch not disengaging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 850g clutch not disengaging?

Finally pulled the 850 out of the corner. Have it running good, however the clutch is causing me trouble.
    I installed a new clutch cable and adjusted it up to where the clutch arm starts pulling the moment I squeeze the clutch lever.
    It feels like it is pulling the clutch open to the release position, however the wheels stay engaged. If I put the bike in gear, hold the clutch lever in and rock the bike back and forth, it starts to slowly overcome the drag and begin to roll more freely. I do all of the with the bike not running. If I put it in neutral the bike rolls freely. If I put it in 1st gear , pull the clutch and rock the bike it loosens up but only "1st gear" loose. If I put it in 5th gear, pull the clutch lever and rock it back and forth it eventually rolls with "5th gear " , lighter resistance. (Hope that makes sense)
    If I remove the clutch fibers it rolls freely in all gears. The bike shifts smoothly to all gears while sitting, not running.
    What am I missing?
    What do I not know?
    Something seems to be keeping this clutch engaged.

How long has the bike been "in the corner"?

It's quite possible that the disks are simply stuck together from being pressed together for "quite some time".

Fire up the engine to get some oil moving. See if you can put the bike against something that is not going to move, then pull the clutch and try to put it in gear. With the engine doing some of the work, you might get the disks to break free.

After it all gets loosened up, if you still have problems with it not disengaging, you might have to look for deep grooves in the clutch basket that are holding the disks in place, not allowing them to slip apart.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I pulled all the plates out to make sure they were not stuck and there are zero grooves in the basket.

Comment

ride it and see...
        with the clutches removed there is zero engagement because of it...hence no drag.

Comment

Easy and quick way to unstick clutch plates, ride it around in first gear with the clutch lever pulled in, whack the throttle open and closed, try to get the driveline lash thing going. In a couple seconds it will be all freed up.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Normal behavior for a wet clutch. You will have significant drag with the engine off and the bike in gear, even with the clutch pulled in. With the oil cold, it will indeed be very difficult to push around.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks guys, I just got my front master cylinder rebuild kit today, this bike had zero brakes. (The rear mc leaks also i just found during this rebirth ing process)I'll get the brakes going and test ride it.
              This is my first time starting and hearing an 850 run. It sure feels smooth....feels and sounds different than any of my other GS's I have experience with. Can't wait to test ride it.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                This is my first time starting and hearing an 850 run. It sure feels smooth....feels and sounds different than any of my other GS's I have experience with. Can't wait to test ride it.
                A tight 850 is a real smoothy. Wait until you ride it.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Clutch is fine. Smooth shifter and easy clutch. Took it for a few rides on my street to test. No problems.
                  Thanks.
                  Now some fine tuning carb stuff.

Comment

I have the same issue I have a1982 GS1100GK

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                    Finally pulled the 850 out of the corner. Have it running good, however the clutch is causing me trouble.
                    I installed a new clutch cable and adjusted it up to where the clutch arm starts pulling the moment I squeeze the clutch lever.
                    It feels like it is pulling the clutch open to the release position, however the wheels stay engaged. If I put the bike in gear, hold the clutch lever in and rock the bike back and forth, it starts to slowly overcome the drag and begin to roll more freely. I do all of the with the bike not running. If I put it in neutral the bike rolls freely. If I put it in 1st gear , pull the clutch and rock the bike it loosens up but only "1st gear" loose. If I put it in 5th gear, pull the clutch lever and rock it back and forth it eventually rolls with "5th gear " , lighter resistance. (Hope that makes sense)
                    If I remove the clutch fibers it rolls freely in all gears. The bike shifts smoothly to all gears while sitting, not running.
                    What am I missing?
                    What do I not know?
                    Something seems to be keeping this clutch engaged.
                    ok I have the same issue with mine I can shift into gear but holding my clutch down the bike still won't move freely it seems the more I move it around while hold the clutch in the easier it gets but what should it do and did you fix yours

Comment

Bwringer had the answer on post # 6.
                      The answer is I he guess that's just how it is. I've had other gs's that roll alot smoother in gear with the clutch pulled in. I guess this 850 is a tighter one.

Comment

Working...
                      X