Engine oil regulator location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine oil regulator location

Hi guys, I've just run into a weird problem with my 650 Katana rebuild.

My Clymer manual, my Suzuki workshop manual and my parts diagrams are all unanimous that the oil regulator pushes into the lower crankcase in a location next to the oil strainer. My bike however seems to have a blank tube in this location, and the oil regulator, which is threaded, appears to screw into the oil pan instead. This position kind of makes sense when you look at the oil channels, but I'm not completely sure I've got it right. As I'm trying to bring this bike back to stock I don't want to keep any modifications that previous owners may have made. Any suggestions? (And to answer the obvious question, it was unassembled when I got it!)

Thanks,

Ian

Very odd, the katana seems to have two oil regulators- one is called a "bypass" regulator.

I'm curious -can you post a pic of the crankcase showing the oil channel layout as you see it. Another member -William Groebe - is having bad luck with his 650
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks a million Tom!

The diagram you sent of the 650 MD is exactly how I've assembled my oil regulator. Completely different to the 650 GX diagram. And yes, it does have "GS650G" stamped on my crankcase!

I've attached two photos, the first pointing out the blank tube where my manual claims the regulator goes, and the second showing the regulator in the oil pan.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.

Ian

Comment

Great pics, thanks? I guess they had to rework crankcase to suit the oil cooler. There was a guy on here few months back that claimed to have a shafty 650 with 6 speed gearbox- how about yours?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Any possibility these cases would be from an XN85 Turbo 650?
          Last edited by recycled64; 09-24-2015, 08:16 AM.
          sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
          '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
          '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
          '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
          '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
          '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
          '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
          '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
          '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
          '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Yes, the more I look at it I'm pretty sure the oil regulator change is a modification to suit the oil cooler. As I go through the build I'm finding a lot of subtle differences between the 650 Kat and the rest of the range of 650 shafties. All the manuals and other documentation I've seen treat them as being the same (except obviously for the external styling), but that doesn't seem to be quite true. For instance the Katana has slightly different cams to the other models. Perhaps it's something to do with the fact that the Katana was called a 650M X/Z/D in the States and 650G X/Z/D in the rest of the world - maybe it has caused confusion down the years with the parts lists etc.
            My gearbox, on the other hand, is the stock standard 5-speed with the direct drive 5th gear. I'm doing this build out of the remains of 3 partial 650 Kats, and one of them does indeed have a 6-speed box. However, on closer examination, that engine is actually a chain-drive 550 katana with a 650 top end, which I understand was a common modification back in the day. Maybe that's what the other guy has.
            Finally, I don't think the cases are from a turbo, the crank case is stamped GS650G and I think the oil cooler theory explains the parts list differences well enough.
            Cheers,
            Ian

Comment

"However, on closer examination, that engine is actually a chain-drive 550 katana with a 650 top end, which I understand was a common modification back in the day. Maybe that's what the other guy has."

yes, that makes sense as I was skeptical that you could cram a sixth gear in the typical shafty gearbox.
              You got parts from 3 katanas? Wow! I've yet to see either a 550 or the 650 in the flesh. Are you in Europe?
              1981 gs650L

Comment

tom, I think the guy we are thinking of was riding a 650e, since it seems that the e shares more in common with the 550's, or he stuff the bra on a 550 with a 650 top. and a 650m is on my list of wants, like really badly want

Comment

Hi Tom,
                  Actually I'm in South Africa. You see 650 Katanas every now and again on our second hand websites, although I must admit I've also never seen one in the flesh. I recently went to the "Thousand bike show" organized by the Classic Motorcycle Club here, (should be re-named the ten-thousand bike show!) and they had 1100 katanas by the bucket load, but not one 550 / 650. I think that most people here wanting to restore a bike get hold of something old and British, or the higher capacity Jap bikes.
                  As for my three partials, I think "rusty wrecks" would be a better description! And as a newcomer to this game I was a bit naïve, and only discovered gradually that nearly every expensive component was either missing or wrecked. Still, it's been fun tracking down all the parts. I have a thread on the rebuilds page if you're interested. It's a bit out of date, I'm further along than it shows on the thread.

Comment

Hi Ian

I am actually also working on a South African 650 Katana (G shaft drive) which is owned by my brother. It has an aftermarket fairing and brackets for hard luggage. He bought it new here in 1981.

Guess what distance it has done? I'll tell you: 9 918 km! Yes, not yet 10 000 km. According to the fuel logbook I found under the seat, he last filled up with petrol in 1992. Never used again after that.

I am busy with the carbs at the moment, and then moving on to brakes, and the rest of the "must do" items.

Last edited by 2BRacing; 09-25-2015, 10:24 AM.
                    1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Oh man, that is beautiful!

I've just stolen that photo and put it in my "inspiration" folder!
                      I also just finished my carbs today. (I have no idea how fuel ever managed to find its way through all the crud I found inside). Did you use the O-ring kit supplied by Robert Barr in the states? I did - and what a pleasure. Replaced all the old dead O-rings with new ones of the right size and right material. Made life sooooo much easier!

Comment

Thanks!

Yes, I have a set of Robert's O-rings that I actually got for my 850, but will use on my brother's 650 which also has the 32 mm carbs. I am still struggling to get the black tar-like goo out of the bottom of the float bowls. Carb cleaner does nothing to it! Even tried xylene, also without success. Tomorrow I am going to try methylene chloride, which is a very strong solvent, but if that does not work, I have lots of work ahead! The rest of the carb insides still very shiny. Also struggling to get the rock-hard float bowl gaskets off.

Comment

Originally posted by IanW View Post
                          Actually I'm in South Africa. You see 650 Katanas every now and again on our second hand websites, .......
                          Ian, I am interested to know what sort of prices the guys are asking for these bikes?

Thanks!

Comment

They seem to go for between R15-20k, though the condition is anyone's guess. I would imagine one like your brother's would go for more, with that mileage and in that condition, but like all rarities or collectors items I suppose it's worth what the buyer is prepared to pay for it! Just enter Katana in Junkmail, OLX and Gumtree and you'll see several ads to give you an idea. Good luck with the black goo, I wonder what it is? my carb cleaner seemed to shift everything - nasty stuff!

Comment

Working...
                            X