Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1000 rebuild with 1100 jugs does it need an 1100 head as well?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 rebuild with 1100 jugs does it need an 1100 head as well?

My 79 GS100L is getting down on compression, while I would prefer to do a total rebuild using Wiseco pistons etc, it just isn't in the cards. So I saw that 1100 jugs can be used, so I'm thinking of grabbing a jug set with pistons and having it honed with new rings. I just need to ensure I don't need a matching 1100 head, and a rack of BS34 carbs to use the 1100 jug set. Also any restrictions on what 1100 jugs work or will all fit? I'm assuming only 8 valve jugs (G and L model) are appropriate.
    Oh and what about a base gasket 1000 or 1100?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-25-2015, 11:23 PM. Reason: incorrect information

1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
    1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Thanks, I'm reading it now. I may have some more questions though afterwards.

Comment

I have read that whole post.. excuse me.. that AWESOME post.. at least 3 times.
        I will buy the next set of 1100G jugs I find for my Beast. and install the 1100 cruzininmage kit.
        But I have the same question as OP ... do I really need to change the head just because the bore went up 3.5mm?
        Is it "suggested" (of course it's suggested) or REQUIRED because "it will behave badly" if I don't ?
        My head has work done already, I will cry if you tell me it "has to go".
        1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
        1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
        1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
        Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Also--- can someone confirm what years /models 1100 jugs we should be searching for?
          1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
          1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!

Comment

I think a standard 1000 head will work just fine. I know I also will eventually do the same thing and I will use my current ported and polished 1000 head.

The D port head was designed for increasing the torque, it was not designed because the displacement went up 100 cc's. Just think of it as a more modern head
            1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Does anyone know if the BS32 carbs will mount up to my 79 head that is equipped with the VM26 carbs? It looks like I might need an 80-83 1000/1100 8 valve head for the Mikuni's. That would be my primary motivation to go to an 1100 head if it isn't needed, because I feel the bike is carb flow restricted as is. Plus all my CV based bikes don't seem to be as temperamental to temperature changes, I have to tune the GS both in the fall, and once it gets hot. That might be because it likes to run fat, I'm guessing from the low compression. Unless of course if the 1100 head can flow better than the 1000 head that would be a bonus. This is my long term bike, eventually it will get the full treatment of hotter cams and all so I'd like to know what the end product would be, as well as what I can get away with for now. I have cancer, so currently money, and quality garage time are at a premium for me.

Comment

If you go CV carbs then you'll want BS34 carbs for a 1000+. The BS32 carbs only were used up to the GS850. Everything above that used either the BS34 or the BS36 carbs. I'm sure you could make the 32's work but it wouldn't be ideal. Will the CV's bolt up to a 79 head? Not without some intake mods.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thanks, I thought they all used the BS32, I guess I need to do some more reading lol. I'm thinking now it would be better to just look for an 8v GS1100L parts bike and rebuild that motor.

Comment

"I'm thinking now it would be better to just look for an 8v GS1100L parts bike and rebuild that motor."

here ya go: in South Jersey -not that far from you

1982 Suzuki GS1100 - $800 (1130 New Pear st Vineland)

I have a 1982 Suzuki gs1100 for sale cheap. 800 firm. Selling so I can finish my interior of my Addition. Once my addition is done. I will raise the price to 2,000.00 or just not sell it. You can see it anytime in front of my house at 1130 new pear st. Vineland.. I am usually done work after 5pm. Please no calls, asking me question. Just come out and see it. Ask all the questions you want when we are face to face. Thanks. Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by exdirtbiker View Post
                      "I'm thinking now it would be better to just look for an 8v GS1100L parts bike and rebuild that motor."
                      All Ls are parts bikes, it's just a matter of convincing the owner.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by althomas101 View Post
                        Does anyone know if the BS32 carbs will mount up to my 79 head that is equipped with the VM26 carbs? It looks like I might need an 80-83 1000/1100 8 valve head for the Mikuni's. That would be my primary motivation to go to an 1100 head if it isn't needed, because I feel the bike is carb flow restricted as is. Plus all my CV based bikes don't seem to be as temperamental to temperature changes, I have to tune the GS both in the fall, and once it gets hot. That might be because it likes to run fat, I'm guessing from the low compression. Unless of course if the 1100 head can flow better than the 1000 head that would be a bonus. This is my long term bike, eventually it will get the full treatment of hotter cams and all so I'd like to know what the end product would be, as well as what I can get away with for now. I have cancer, so currently money, and quality garage time are at a premium for me.
                        I run BST34SS carbs of a GSXR1100, it uses the same boots that the VM33's were using. They are KZ1100 boots with the holes slotted to fit, only about .050 for each hole.

Comment

Why all the hate, I'm riding an L. Besides it is more of an E at this point, not a big deal to change some body work.

Comment

What if we use 1100 jugs on our 1000 blocks, and didn't mill .040" from the top of the jugs ???
                            Last edited by exdirtbiker; 09-28-2015, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Use the 1000 head. For a season we ran our GS1000 race motor with 1100G pistons. With the 1000 head it was still pretty low compression - about 9.5:1
                              Just check you've got piston to head clearance around the "extra" bore.
                              That was with a full height block.

Comment

Working...
                              X