Oil pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil pressure

I have an oil light on in my GS 550 L and I would like to know what steps to figure out the problem. I hear it could be the light, the sending unit or the pump. The manuals I have show where to find the pump, remove it and check it out, that is all.

Thanks

I would check that the lead isn't earthing before doing anything else. These are low pressure systems and almost never go wrong.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Engine running too hot due to tuning issues, very thin oil or a very low idle will cause the light to flicker at idle, is yours flickering at idle or on all the time? Is it temperature related? RPM related? If it's on all the time it's likely a wiring thing or perhaps the gear that drives the oil pump is broken. I have a DRZ400 parts bike here which failed when a broken piece of a shift fork got caught in the oil pump gear and broke it.

I guess you need to describe your oil light's action a little more.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
        I would check that the lead isn't earthing before doing anything else. These are low pressure systems and almost never go wrong.
        Actually, the '83 550 is one of the few that has a HIGH-pressure system.

If you have a manual that tells you how to remove the pump, it should also tell you how to check the pressure.
        Then you can tell if it's actually the pressure or something with the electrical side.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Actually, the '83 550 is one of the few that has a HIGH-pressure system.

If you have a manual that tells you how to remove the pump, it should also tell you how to check the pressure.
          Then you can tell if it's actually the pressure or something with the electrical side.

My bad. I didn't spot his signature and you are correct Steve.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post

Not knowing what I was looking for. I traced a single wire down to a sensor on the oil filter cover. If I disconnect that wire, the oil light will not come on. So now I will have to determine if it is the sensor that is malfunctioning or something else.
            When the oil light is on, it is on from from start in the morning. And it is steady on. It does not flicker.
            Last edited by Guest; 09-27-2015, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Well if it had zero oil pressure you would have other problems by now, so it's probably something in the sender itself shorting it out inside. The one you have is more like a car's sensor, more likely to fail.

The ones up behind the cylinders don't fail much, they just spring leaks.

Comment

I can't tell about the engine running too hot at this moment. I know the light come on pre warm up and does not go out. The light is steady on, does not flicker. The oil and filter is new and proper oil was put in. The clutch was just done recently so the gears inside for the pump "appeared" intact. I had that clutch apart several times because it was my first time so I got a good look at all those innards.

Comment

Ok that is excellent news. So I will likely have to find a new sensor.

Comment

If there is anything that puts a damper on buying parts online is shipping. I can find used sensors, which I am not too happy about getting used, but the shipping is more than the part.

Comment

Suzuki sells them.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Suzuki sells them.
                        Part number 37820-33D10, cost is $22.26 from Parts Outlaw. (Item #16 on the diagram)

They normally have a flat-rate shipping charge of $9.99, but that might be to the "lower 48" only, not sure what it will take to get it to you.

That is also a rather generic switch, looks a LOT like the one I had in my '74 Toyota Corolla.
                        Might look at your local Queen's Auto Parts to see what you can find there.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm thinking the thread looks the same on most any Japanese or European car, but fitting it into the space provided might be tight.

Comment

This has been very helpful guys. I was able to track down a couple other wiring issues at the same time. Sometimes it is difficult to find problems because the wiring is so tightly packed.

Comment

Working...
                            X