valve trouble--- keepers are hitting the bottom of the buckets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Follow-up from trip to Buffalo !!!
    I bought the head from theDoktor- (already bead blasted- Thank you ! )
    Now I can compare -"stock" vs "wrong"
    and realized someone gave my head a crazy-angle valve job so the valves sit down further in the pockets. ( looking at heads upside down).
    That's why someone had to "tip" the valves. they took about .030" off !
    It's hard to see the exhaust seat angle- almost looks like they gave them a radius instead of multi-angles.
    And the "port" job I think is just a polish job.
    Oh well... at least now I know what I have, and YES ... I did buy another complete GS1000G motor while in Buffalo. Fit in the trunk of my Civic without drama !
    1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
    1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
    1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
    Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

The valve tips have been ground to get proper shim clearance after a valve job. We have a fixture that allows us to grind the keepers so that they are below the tops of the valves. New valves won't help as they will be too long and would have to be ground down just like your old ones.

Setting that head up correctly is easy for a shop like ours. Not sure of any in your area.
      Speed Merchant
      http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

as Brendan W noticed... the keepers are shot. And the valves are now too short. and someone got SOOOO aggressive with a mega-angle valve job that the faces of the valves are actually flush with the surrounding dome of the head. So the head is shot too. (I'll try for pics tomorrow)

I'm rebuilding with head / valves / keepers from theDoktor, using my Web cams and springs. waiting on OEM head gasket and cover gasket and rubber cam plugs. And for warm weather to continue painting !!!
        Anyone have a set of egg and rectangle o-rings they can spare?
        1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
        1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!

Comment

Here's pics to show what someone did to my head. Note how the valve sits --in-- the seat, not on top of it.

and the "new" head I'm using

Comment

Glad my old spare head will work for you.
            I can't believe how far that valve is pocketed into the seat! By the time the valves and keepers were shortened enough to be able to shim the valves, there probably wasn't much left of the keepers. And what did the deep recessing of the valves do to the flow? Any head porting experts want to chime in?

Comment

Looking back at the broken guide you would wonder how far can a valve be let in before the neck starts hitting the guides.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                Looking back at the broken guide you would wonder how far can a valve be let in before the neck starts hitting the guides.
                Now that you mention it, I think that's exactly what happened. They took .030" off !!!

By the time the valves and keepers were shortened enough to be able to shim the valves, there probably wasn't much left of the keepers.

The keepers were not short.. that's why they hit the buckets. The were taller than the valve stem. So the ridge on the inside of the keepers got beat up.
                Like someone else noted... it's amazing I didn't drop a valve.

Comment

When building big valve heads, it is very important to maintain adequate clearance between the valves on the seats, so they won't hit each other. This is done by sinking the valves into the head, then unshrouding the area around the valve. This is very common mod on 2 valve GSs and Kaw KZs. Whoever worked on that head, simply did not know what they were doing. That head is not junk.
                  Speed Merchant

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jay View Post
                    When building big valve heads, it is very important to maintain adequate clearance between the valves on the seats, so they won't hit each other. This is done by sinking the valves into the head, then unshrouding the area around the valve. This is very common mod on 2 valve GSs and Kaw KZs. Whoever worked on that head, simply did not know what they were doing. That head is not junk.
                    that makes sense to me... if it had big valves in there. I believe they are stock.
                    The more I fiddle with this, I'm thinking this bike had a lot more mods at one time, then was repaired with stock parts when he blew it up.
                    The guy I bought it from was very excited to tell me all about the special parts... many of them were not there when I took it apart.

Comment

My point is, just because the valves are sunk doesn't necessarly make the head junk.
                      Speed Merchant

Comment

make an offer....

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jay View Post
                          My point is, just because the valves are sunk doesn't necessarly make the head junk.
                          Does anyone want this head and valves? CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP !!!!

Comment

On a side note. Never take your head to a "car" guy. Most are butchers and dont care. Some bike guys too. Do your research on anything that you have to pay money for and should save you time and money in the long run.

Comment

Working...
                            X