affordable gaskets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

affordable gaskets?

I have read many warnings about inferior gaskets here... I know to stay away from anything green.

but $89 for OEM head gasket alone ??? OUCH.

can someone direct me to a cheaper source of OEM gaskets?

Edit - many parts from ebay have been on shelf 20+ years - rubber parts get very stiff / brittle over time

( ask me how I know ... )
    Last edited by exdirtbiker; 10-21-2015, 11:09 PM.
    1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
    1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
    1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
    Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Hey, at least you're shopping in the right store.

There is another dealer that will happily charge you $122 for the same part.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sometimes NOS gaskets show up on eBay for a little cheaper. But motobike parts sellers on eBay are starting to get hip to OEM prices and tend to charge about the same amount (or more). But definitely go OEM on the head and base gaskets no matter the price.

You can also ask in the parts wanted forum, some members here have a seemingly vast surplus of parts and will sometimes cut a deal with fellow forum members.
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I wonder how much that gasket would cost me?

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Alpha Sports: $89.87
          Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

Parts Outlaw: $65.64
          Shop online for OEM Cylinder Head parts that fit your 1982 Suzuki GS750T, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452

These bikes are not expensive to maintain...at least not outlandishly expensive. Considering this important component of the bike, price is not a factor for peace of mind. (But that's just me)

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

OK -sticker shock has worn off. I'll "just suck it up" when I get back from Buffalo Thurs.

BTW-
            Parts outlaw is also $89, the $65 price above is not for a 2 valve 1000
            1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
            1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!

Comment

I was pricing for my "T". Glad the shock is over.

Ed
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

I can afford $89 a lot easier than I can afford the time to do it twice.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  I can afford $89 a lot easier than I can afford the time to do it twice.
                  Agreed...
                  I have learned ( too many ) many times that doing it twice always hurts more than the wallet.
                  Last edited by exdirtbiker; 10-10-2015, 06:07 AM.

Comment

real Suzuki gaskets on ebay - cover, head, and base- all for about 1/2 price. sweeeeeet.

Now about those egg-shaped o-rings on cylinder base...
                    when I pulled the motor apart, both of them had squeezed in, so they were doing... nothing.
                    my new base gasket didn't come with them. leave them out, or are they required ? and the large rectangle o-ring on top? ( mine was filled with RTV)

Comment

Originally posted by exdirtbiker View Post
                      real Suzuki gaskets on ebay - cover, head, and base- all for about 1/2 price. sweeeeeet.

Now about those egg-shaped o-rings on cylinder base...
                      when I pulled the motor apart, both of them had squeezed in, so they were doing... nothing.
                      my new base gasket didn't come with them. leave them out, or are they required ? and the large rectangle o-ring on top? ( mine was filled with RTV)
                      The egg shaped rings seal the oil riser. I wouldn't leave them out. Mine were pinched in when I opened up as you might expect as there is nothing to stabilise the sides of the rings. If you look close you will probably see that the ring was still working all the way around even where it was pinched in. The rectangular ring seals the chain tunnel and I wouldn't leave that out either. RTV is risky in either of these areas because any excess will end up either blocking oil supply to the top or clogging up the pump strainer. I used a tiny skin of threebond as an assembly glue on the tunnel seal to keep it in place. I wouldn't use anything on the riser egg shaped rings.
                      A recent thread here mentioned that many experienced builders do not use the sleeve base o-ring at all.
                      97 R1100R
                      Previous
                      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I want to jump in here as I am finally doing the top end reseal. I took out a black looking head gasket and on the 4 corners there is a embossed "o-ring" ( kinda what it looks like ) My new head gasket ( I bought about a year ago along with other seals/gaskets that I bought from a recommended source here ) Any how....the new head gasket looks to be multiple layers of a metal material and none of those "embossed o-rings". If I use it...will it leak at those corners?

Also after a quick look around, I am not sure what I have. Just a flat piece of metal the shape of a head gasket. Don't look like any head gasket I have ever seen. No "squish band " ring around the cylinder holes or anything...what is up with that?
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-17-2015, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Try searching on "mls head gasket".
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

so I have a mls head gasket. what about the 4 outboard corners where there was the embossed o-rings? Does oil flow up through this? And if so ...to where?

Comment

Working...
                            X