Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS750 Clutch swap in 82 Gs1100e? Whats needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 Clutch swap in 82 Gs1100e? Whats needed?

I understand that at a certain horsepower level (150?) that going to straight cut clutch gears is a good idea on the gs1100. I've seen that GS750 parts can be swapped onto the GS1100 and make it a pretty simple upgrade. So what parts are needed to perform the conversion, are there certain years/models of the gs750 that are better than others? Also, I understand that it will lower the gearing to the output shaft. How much does it change the ratio (so I can compensate with a different rear gear)?
    Thank you for your help.
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

In my opinion its better to run the proper aftermarket straight cut gears with the original ratio for what they cost. the 750 gears from the early 2v gs750 will work, but the offset isnt exactly right and you need to grind away the cases for clearance for the clutch drum gear . you also need the 750 oil pump gears to keep the pump speed the same. unless you are drag racing and can benefit from easier clutch tuning, stick with stock ratios.

Comment

First off is this for a 16V or 8V? 8V are straight cut anyway...

I'll tell you this is totally not necessary unless your planning to run Nitrous or forced induction... I ran a stock clutch on my GS750 which I found out it was bored over to 840 something, knew the head was port and polished and ran a rack with 1100 carbs... Never had a clutch issue for the 50K miles I racked on the bike. I bet the bike didn't even break 100 whp even bored with the head work... It's really nothing to be concerned about... I honestly can say if you were looking to upgrade your engine (and clutch for that matter) for more power, just swap to an 1100 or 1150 and be done with it. Bolt and go, cost you less then having your 750 block machined to fit the 1100 basket...
      Really curious why??? Also the 16V engines all had helical gears on their baskets I believe, so your modifying a modification for upgrade ... This sound like allot of cost for a mere 750.... Best bet is to swap in a 8V clutch for a straight cut conversion. But look into splitting that crank to change the gear on the crank.
      Jedz Moto
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2002 Honda Reflex 250
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
      2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
      Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

i understand TxGSrider has a 16v 1100.........he's enquiring about putting in straightcuts.

Comment

If you are building a drag bike, or over 170 hp, go with the straight cut gears. If not, you don't need them. Call me at 714.356-784five if you are serious & have questions.
          Ray.

Comment

Working...
          X