No announcement yet.

HELP! Clutch or Spline Issue I think.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to be too pointed about this, but can you please take the daggum rear wheel off already and look?

What you describe (a weak connection between the bike and rear wheel, with weird noises) is exactly what happens when the driven spline in the rear wheel goes blooey. And this part goes blooey on EVERY 81+ GS shaftie at some point (some early '81 models had the earlier black spline). Every last one -- Suzuki had a run of weak spline couplers in the '80s.

And the more you dink around with it, the more you're chewing up the matching splines in the final drive.

When you hear hoofbeats, don't automatically assume zebras. There are lots of things things this could be, of course, but you have to remove the rear wheel and look for the highest-percentage option before you start taking the engine apart.

If you poke around, there are plenty of pics and info showing the part and what to look for.

(Lots of info and pics here)

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

good advice here.....

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      Not to be too pointed about this, but can you please take the daggum rear wheel off already and look?

What you describe (a weak connection between the bike and rear wheel, with weird noises) is exactly what happens when the driven spline in the rear wheel goes blooey. And this part goes blooey on EVERY 81+ GS shaftie at some point (some early '81 models had the earlier black spline). Every last one -- Suzuki had a run of weak spline couplers in the '80s.

And the more you dink around with it, the more you're chewing up the matching splines in the final drive.

When you hear hoofbeats, don't automatically assume zebras. There are lots of things things this could be, of course, but you have to remove the rear wheel and look for the highest-percentage option before you start taking the engine apart.

If you poke around, there are plenty of pics and info showing the part and what to look for.

(Lots of info and pics here)

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...50-shaft-drive
      1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

It isnt slipping at the rear wheel though. The drive shaft and the rear wheel are definitely connected and its slipping forward of the driveshaft.

This being said I have a replacement spline on the way anyway, I do plan on removing the rear wheel and checking.

Comment

Just to make this clear. If you have the rear tire off the ground (on center stand) and have the engine running with it in gear you can stop the rear wheel from turning with your hand AND it stops the driveshaft from turning as well? Or does it stop the wheel but the driveshaft is still turning?

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
            Just to make this clear. If you have the rear tire off the ground (on center stand) and have the engine running with it in gear you can stop the rear wheel from turning with your hand AND it stops the driveshaft from turning as well? Or does it stop the wheel but the driveshaft is still turning?
            Correct the driveshaft stops as well.

Also found out the clutch is original.

Comment

Originally posted by jchaplick21 View Post
              ?..
              Also found out the clutch is original.
              Mine too with 50k miles, so if hasn't been monkeyed with, it should be fine. Did you take clutch cover off and visually inspect?
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                Mine too with 50k miles, so if hasn't been monkeyed with, it should be fine. Did you take clutch cover off and visually inspect?
                No I have not, I may do it tonight. What should I look for?

Comment

Now i put my head down by the engine when I put the bike in first and I can hear a knocking or clatter when it's in gear.not sure if that changes anything.

i really need some help

Comment

Sounds like the exact same problem I had 20 years or so ago. You really should start with the easier checks already suggested. Check the rear splines and clutch first because the part that failed on me required engine removal and splitting of the cases to get at. Suzuki uses a type of dampening duel half moon shock reducing ( someone will know the proper name) shaft in the transmission. It basically takes the "Jacking effect under hard acceleration or hard down shifting" and dampens it by allowing these 2 half moons to rotate slightly in either acceleration or deceleration. The gear on this shaft breaks close to the collar and the large spring holding this shaft and half moon system together has enough pressure at the broken parts to allow the rear wheel to spin until there is real load applied to it. It is really hard to find the break until you unload the spring pressure and separate the parts on the shaft. This may or may not be your problem, so try and start with the easy stuff and work forward from there.
                    1981 GS 1000GLX.
                    1981 GS 1000G.
                    1981 GS 650GLX.
                    1975 TS 185.
                    1972 100. Kawasaki.
                    1968 100. Suzuki.
                    1970 Z 50. Honda.
                    1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
                    1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Originally posted by habsdoc View Post
                      Sounds like the exact same problem I had 20 years or so ago. You really should start with the easier checks already suggested. Check the rear splines and clutch first because the part that failed on me required engine removal and splitting of the cases to get at. Suzuki uses a type of dampening duel half moon shock reducing ( someone will know the proper name) shaft in the transmission. It basically takes the "Jacking effect under hard acceleration or hard down shifting" and dampens it by allowing these 2 half moons to rotate slightly in either acceleration or deceleration. The gear on this shaft breaks close to the collar and the large spring holding this shaft and half moon system together has enough pressure at the broken parts to allow the rear wheel to spin until there is real load applied to it. It is really hard to find the break until you unload the spring pressure and separate the parts on the shaft. This may or may not be your problem, so try and start with the easy stuff and work forward from there.
                      That sounds terrible. I hope that that is not the issue. I bought this bike because 1) I have loved UJM style bikes since I was litter and 2) I am not very technically inclined and this was bought as a project/ hobby to try and learn more. So something that involved is pretty daunting for me. Im still scared to take the clutch case off haha. Im waiting to get some IJS screwdrivers so I dont strip the screws. Should be here tomorrow so I can work on that and see whats up.

Comment

Working...
                      X