Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wristpin stuck, and cam sprocket rubbed head...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wristpin stuck, and cam sprocket rubbed head...

I am taking the pistons off my 80 850 to do a clean on them prior to re assembly with new rings and gaskets. I have got 3 of the 4 pistons off....wouldn't you know it...the last piston,....and I can't get the wrist pin out! It moves freely and piston rotates nicely with out binding. I removed both clips and it gets "stuck" at the same point no matter which way I try to remove it! I figure I can use a BFH and a punch and get the wrist pin out...but I don't wanna go that much backwards on the project....

Also,....when I started to remove items so I could get this top end resealed....I saw this on the inside of head where the cams operate. Any Ideas? It wasn't making noise when I had it running. Alignment dowels appear to be all there....a mystery to me. IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

Looks like one or both of the hex bolts on the cam sprocket was hitting the case on the intake side. Could be excessive cam walk but it might also just be incorrect hex bolts although they do look correct. How much side to side play do you have with the cam installed and torqued down?

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I will be checking when I re-assemble

Comment

there is a tool to remove the wrist pins.
        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I got the others with just my finger.....what tool is this you speak of? Actually, I was thinking about cleaning it as best I can in place and leave it be. I really dont want to go any further than where I am at. With this said tool, what risks does one take damaging anything?

Comment

Here is one.

Comment

Got it out with a little bit coaxing with a barrel sander and a piece of crocus cloth wrapped around it. Just went slowly and kept turning it to remove the baked on oil varnish that was keeping the wristpin from coming out. Now its out and on to getting it cleaned!

Comment

Working...
              X