650 G Timing questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

650 G Timing questions

Introductions may not be in the right place,but here goes.49 yr old male,Born and raised in S. Texas.Currently living and working in Germany.
    Have 1983 GS650G that I saved from being scrapped.Been goofing around with it for about 2 years now.

Reassembling the engine after a complete tear down to fix a second gear problem.A little stumped on setting the crank timing before I install the cams.My manual states to line the marking ,"T 1-4", on the timing advance mechanism with the mark on the coil plate.My advance mechanism doesn't have the marking "T 1-4". It's marked "T 2-3" and "F 1-4". Which one should I line up?

There generally should be a T for top and an F for fire for each pair 1-4 and 2-3. Rotating the crank in the forward, clockwise sense F is ahead of T. Look a bit closer or take off the plate and clean it.
    There might not be a T mark for 2-3.
    Last edited by Brendan W; 11-04-2015, 05:25 PM.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Look carefully. There should be F and T marks for 1 & 4 and another pair of F and T marks for 2 & 3. The fact that you see one of each leads me to believe both should be there.

For the record, the 1-4 refers to both the nearby T and F marks, but 1-4 is not repeated. So if you see a F 1-4 and a T mark next to it, that T mark is your T 1-4 mark.

I'm not familiar with your model, but sounds very similar to my GS750.
      Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
      2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

You should see this setup
        Attached Files
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Wasn't clear in my description.I don't see the T and F markings in the window at the same time.The T and F markings are set 180 degrees apart from each other.My problem is the manual say's T 1-4, and my rotor say's T 2-3.I'll Try and get some pics up after work today.

Comment

Ok Guys,Thanks for your time.I got it ironed out.There is indeed a T 1-4 and F 1-4 right next to each other.The "T" is just barely stamped,and hard to read,but it's there.

Thanks

Comment

If only eyesight was as durable as a GS
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
              X