Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

procedure / hints for installing cylinders on GS1000 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

procedure / hints for installing cylinders on GS1000 ?

Has anyone posted a "how-to" for installing cylinders?
    how many hands are required?
    spring compressors or fingernails?
    I had read some in the past, but when I used "search" I came up empty.

Thanks
    Pete
    1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
    1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
    1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
    Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Have a machinists put a chamfer on the bottom edge and they will go in easy with a little help from your fingers
    sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
    1994 gsxr1100w
    1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

Check this thread from KZRider...http://www.kzrider.com/forum/21-tool...compresser-set Pretty nifty home made ring compression idea...
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I've found the service manuals idea of making 2 wooden dowels/supports and my fingers works well.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I used two 60-80 mm hose clamps and two 30mm wide strips from a plastic paint bucket. Wrap the strips around the two inner and snug up with the clamps. Put the two middle pistons at top, lower the barrel and it practically walked on. Transfer the strips and clamps to the outer pistons, lower the barrel a bit and then by lowering more and or rotating the crank the outers slide in.
          I tried for an hour using fingers and the hose clamps alone but it just didn't feel right. I had help from a second pair of hands to lower the barrel square getting the middle two in.
          Others have used peanut butter tubs which would have been better as it would be closer to the piston size than a two gallon bucket. It was a bit tricky getting the strips out from the outer pair without snagging the base gasket ( don't forget it ) as the strips sprang back to normal shape.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Keeping the pistons square on is key to making the job easy. I always do the 2 inner first and use plastic pipe wedged under the pistons and resting on the top of the crankcase. For a GS1000, standard sanitary drain pipe (I think it's inch and a quarter but might be wrong) fits perfectly. For entering the rings in to the bores I use a couple of lolly sticks and very gently tap down on the cylinder.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Check this thread from KZRider...http://www.kzrider.com/forum/21-tool...compresser-set Pretty nifty home made ring compression idea...
              Going to Lowes 1st thing in the morning. Thanks !
              1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
              1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!

Comment

You can look at my rebuild thread as I used 4 blocks of wood, was very easy in the end. (I borrowed the idea from someone on here but can not remember who)

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Starting at post #119

Last edited by Kiwi Canuck; 11-10-2015, 01:51 AM.
                2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

For the record, I purchased pipe clamp things, but never opened the wrapper. I used fingernails and a helper to git 'er done.

Comment

The biggest danger is losing your patience and forcing something. The rings will go in without compressors as long as the chamfer is still on the bottom of the sleeve and the piston is square to the bore. A medium thumping with a fist on top of the cylinders should be all the force required.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                      The biggest danger is losing your patience and forcing something. The rings will go in without compressors as long as the chamfer is still on the bottom of the sleeve and the piston is square to the bore. A medium thumping with a fist on top of the cylinders should be all the force required.
                      Just curious, how many PSI is a medium thump? JK
                      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                        Just curious, how many PSI is a medium thump? JK
                        'tween a bop and a smack...

Comment

Working...
                        X