GS550 engine differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 engine differences

Hi everyone, I've just picked up a 1985 GS550 which is running perfectly but unfortunately the previous owners watched too many episodes of American Chopper decided to hack the rear section of the frame off...

I'm thinking the easiest thing to do would be to buy an earlier frame as I prefer them, and fit the engine and running gear from my bike to it

SO I guess what I'm asking is are all of the GS550 engines the same size and interchangeable between years?

8-valve and 16-valve engines are completely different. I suppose you could make one fit the other if you had the appropriate skills.
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

Thanks Steve, looks like I'll try and repair the original frame then. The bike that I've got is at the bottom of the list on the following link: http://www.suzukicycles.org/GS-series/GS550E.shtml

I'm guessing the info that they have on there is wrong as it says that they are all 8v 49hp engines

Comment

The UK GS550s were all 8 valves. Our 16 valve bikes were GSX550s.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

hmmmm, back to square one then. Do you think that the late 8v would be a straight fit into an earlier UK frame?

Comment

If you're in the UK, that makes things easier. Not much difference between the various years of 8-valve engine. Lack of kickstart on later models, transistorised ignition as opposed to points, VM versus CV carbs. Might be some other bits, but as far as actually mounting the engine, should go straight in.
            1980 GS550ET

Comment

Perfect thanks guys. off to scour fleabay for a frame...

Comment

Make sure you don't get an 'L' frame - there are some small differences.
                1980 GS550ET

Comment

Just beware that with the late 550s, 82 onwards, although the engines bolt straight in, had a different, to earlier models, tank, side panels, seat and rear cowling. The frame was changed and those bits won't swap over without a lot of mucking about.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks, I prefer the look of the earlier bikes so might see if I can find a complete-ish donor

Comment

Working...
                    X