No announcement yet.

gs650 to gs750?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've now checked all the threads, with the exception of the spark-plug threads - I don't have the correct tap for that. All are the original size, and good, apart from the one exhaust bolt thread that I mentioned earlier. That has been drilled and tapped to M10 x 1.5.

I did think that one or two of the cam cap threads may have been helicoiled, but if they have, they have been done to the original size, and hold a tap well.

This is an earlier head than yours - 16 bolts to hold the cam cover.
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

Thanks for doing that Steve, appreciate it. So I guess as it is 16 hole it's not going to work. Unless I got a matching cam cover too? Would my cams etc fit if I changed the head and cam cover?

Comment

I believe the cams are the same, but I'm not 100% certain. Maybe a check of a fiche would tell? As far as I know, the reason for the extra bolt was to cut down oil leaks from the front of the engine, between nos 2 and 3 exhausts.
        1980 GS550ET

Comment

What is a fiche?

Comment

Lol, one of these: - http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs650-19...490/partslist/

This one appears to show when the cam cover changed, but only shows one set of cams.
            1980 GS550ET

Comment

"a flat sheet, containing reproductions of printed or graphic matter" every day is a school day!

Do you have a cam cover to go with it by any chance?
              Last edited by Guest; 11-19-2015, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't.
                1980 GS550ET

Comment

Argh why did I get the bike with the hardest to find bits!? Thanks again for your help, I will be in touch if I come across a cam cover and/or can't get mine welded.

Cheers,
                  Pete

Comment

No problem Pete, it's not going anywhere. And I'll keep an eye open for a cam cover myself.
                    1980 GS550ET

Comment

So managed to get it welded, drilled and tapped and it's now cleaned up. Flipping projects eh. I'm going to do a small build thread to document the rebuild in the correct section. Cheers again for the help.

Comment

Working...
                      X