82 gs850glz clutch bearing damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs850glz clutch bearing damage

slipping in 3rd and 5th mainly 5th wot . the large nut holding the basket on was loose the needle bearing behind the basket is damaged , can this be replaced by taking the bering ring out and fitting new one in or must i purchase the whole piece , thanks in advance
    Attached Files

looks like bolts hitting the bering from these 2 bolt holes but there were no bolts threaded into these holes
    Attached Files

Comment

Make sure that you have all parts there and installed correctly- see attached.

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The roller bearing is from the oil pump drive gear and is a particular weak spot in my experience. Always replace this bearing when going into the clutch. One of mine looked like this:

From your pic there may also be damage to the gear itself. Examine it carefully.

The damage marks come from bolts that have been pushed through from the clutch basket spacer which you can see here:

These threaded holes are there to enable you to insert a couple of bolts in order to assist you in removing this spacer and taking the clutch basket out. This is not normally required as you can jiggle it out without screwing in bolts here. When assembled and running there are NO bolts or anything in these holes.

It looks like bolts have been screwed into these holes (long bolts) and they have come out the other side and damaged the bearing cage. Since this spacer sits in the main clutch basket roller bearing (which you can just see in my pic above), I can see no reason why this amount of pressure was applied with those bolts to create that damage. And its been done 3 times. Normally the clutch basket will slide off easily. The only circumstance I can think off where this amount of pressure would need to be applied is if the bike had been left outside for 5 years without it's clutch cover. If the big spacer with the holes in it had rusted into its roller bearing then it might have seized on and required to be prized off by screwing those bolts in. Otherwise its a mystery.

Do you know if the bike was abandoned or damaged in any other way? With that sort of damage, I would be looking around for other signs of malpractice. Start by dropping the sump and looking in the sump filter.

In respect of the clutch slipping at WOT in 3rd and 5th, I would go through all the clutch adjustment procedures in the manual and if that doesn't fix it look at replacing some or all of the clutch hub springs. See if they are within limits. Some people replace only 3 of these springs as the new ones around these days are pretty heavy duty and replacing all six can make the clutch rather heavy.

Whilst the clutch is apart, check the limits of wear on the plates and the steels.

I can't see any reason that is would only happen in 3rd and 5th and not in 4th. That seems to deny any logic.
        Last edited by londonboards; 11-25-2015, 07:52 AM.
        Richard
        sigpic
        GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
        GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
        Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Wow... thinking out loud... that oil pump gear bearing looks damaged to the point that its needles couldn't spin. I would definitely check the surface that it rides on for scoring, etc
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

tom203 , thanks for the link and response

Comment

londonboards , i saw yor vid about the loose clutch nut and its exactly what mine looked like , loose nut and basket , thank you

Comment

dorkburger , that looks good but the part that sticks out of the pressure plate . in the parts diagram its called the "rack,release" that piece was super loose and looks like there is a rubber o-ring or something that its supossed to fit into on the shaft but the rubber is not looking good , im goona have to look into this further, thanks for helping

Comment

dorkburger , that looks good but the part that sticks out of the pressure plate . in the parts diagram its called the "rack,release" that piece was super loose and looks like there is a rubber o-ring or something that its supossed to fit into on the shaft but the rubber is not looking good , im goona have to look into this further, thanks for helping
                  Hi all,
                  I removed my clutch housing today to replace my clutch. I also found that my "rack, release" was very loose and wobbly before I even touched anything inside the clutch housing. Is that normal or is something missing that should keep the rack, release in place. Seems there should be a bearing or something on the end that sticks out of the pressure plate. In the diagram, provide by 'tom 203', it looks like an oil seal is being shown. Where does that go?
                  Thanks
                  sbmisajw

Comment

Working...
                  X