• Time
  • Show
Clear All

tighten the puller and give it a whack with a hammer,

tighten again, then whack with hammer,

Repeat until rotor is off, heat will help

Comment

Originally posted by Mad GS 750 E View Post
      Still a little unclear so I heat the hub /bug of rotor, which is the inside middle of rotor? Ithought you said don't heat the crank wont that heat the crank,what will happen if the crank heats up to much? I will still need someone to hold the crank on the pick-up side to stop the motor from turnin right ?Sorry for so many questions just want to make sure this attempt goes better than the first one. Thanks again
      This is not brain surgery and is going to require some brute strength if it has never been off.
      1.) Put the MAPP flame on the hub, not the rotor magnets or the crank. The hub.
      2.) Use a big hammer and hit the end of the tool when under tension (thanks guys, I forgot)
      3.) Try and get it to budge (impact wrench or breaker bars)
      4.) Rinse and repeat

If you use the standard store bought tool , you will probably strip the threads as I showed. The tap and bolt sizes are in the picture I showed to upgrade the tool.

Comment

Originally posted by gs1197 View Post
        You might try tightening the puller as much as you can, then let it sit overnight.
        Tighten a little more the next day, and let it sit.

Last one I pulled took 4 days....but it finally popped off.
        +1 on this method; it's worked for me, too.
        '82 GS450T

Comment

Ok I will try this weekend when I can get some help from my friends ,thanks for all the advice.

Comment

Well I tried to get off rotor (3rd time) trashed threads on tool. Borrowed better tool from bike shop (think it was parts unlimited tool ) seemed much heavier and the part that goes on rotor was a lot deeper almost twice as deep (which is better if you need to cut off stripped treads). Well I put the tool on at 5o ft lbs tried air hammer no luck, kept heating with MAPP torch and hitting tool .after an hr and 1/2 and I went up to 60 ft lbs on tool and IT FINALLY CAME OFF --4TH TIME IS A CHARM!!! LOL. 2 Starter clutch bolts were loose and 1 fell right out when I turned it over --it broke in half at rotor .Has anybody seen that before?? everything else looked ok visually need to measure things still. I did notice tho there is a ring of some kind behind the magnets in the rotor (pointing to with screwdriver) it seems hard and the heat probably did bad things to it cant find on parts list what is it ? and is it a problem do I need to take out off there ? IMG_8917.jpg Not sure what to do about that seems brittle don't want to leave in and pieces start breaking off any advice? Should I just order new parts for starter clutch or are there measurements for the parts? I know I need new bolts ,bearing ,wave washer, and maybe the springs ,pucks internals, should I just order everything? thanks
            Last edited by Guest; 03-14-2016, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Is this thing on !!!!! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mad GS 750 E View Post
                Has anybody seen that before??
                The last time

The time before that

Maybe 4 other times before the other 2.
                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

WOW thats scary ,guess I caught this just in time. So does anyone know what the ring is behind the magnets? (the screwdriver is pointing to in my pic) .Thanks for any info

Comment

I believe your referring to the adhesive that holds that magnets on.

Comment

So maybe its adhesive that got heated up and turned brittle ? it is loose and moves alittle side to side . Should I just take it right out of there? I posted a pic a couple of post ago anyone else want to way in on this .Carter Turk so after so many failures are u welding the bolts now ? Thanks
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-16-2016, 11:55 AM.

Comment

It probably wouldn't hurt, as Ray suggested many times, but the last one would'nt helped the gear explosion. I think NOS, tooling and material tolerances aren't what they used to be.
                        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

IMG_8918.jpgSo I guess the ring behind the magnets is adhesive for the magnets ,mine got brittle from heating hub for removal and seems to be loose (can move it slightly from side to side). see pic in previous post . has this happened to anyone else ? and did u leave it in there or did you remove it? I will try to post a better pic .Thanks for any advice
                          Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2016, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X