Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no compression

Hi All
    I have an issue with the engine I have just rebuilt . When I crank the engine over by hand I place my finger over the spark plug hole and I don't feel any compression . I have completely rebuilt it , e.g Had the crank cases hydra blasted , new big end bearing on the con rods , main bearing on the crank , honed the pots and fitted new piston rings , the head is fully recondition . Spent all yesterday in the heat thinking things were going well and no compression I have the timing marks all lined up , cam marks are level with the rocker cover gasket . Any help would be great .
    Regards
    John
    Sydney Australia

I will give you the usual. What bike ? have you checked valve clearance.
    My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Yes, do vslves appear to be closing/ opening? Did you take off camshaft sprockets? So timing appears like this pic at TDC on crank....
      Attached Files
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the reply's .I had a friend at work who pointed out some details and I now have compression on all 4 cylinders .
        thanks once again
        john
        Sydney Australia

Comment

Glad you got it sorted, John.
          Could you share the details for others that may be in a similar situation.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Will do steve , basically the crank was out by 2 or 3 teeth which put every thing else out ( should have worn my glasses ) . will be posting some pictures of my engine rebuild in the next day or so .
            John
            Sydney Australia

Comment

"In the heat", I'm envious of you Australians with your nice weather. Glad you got it sorted.
              1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by turbojonn View Post
                "In the heat", I'm envious of you Australians with your nice weather. Glad you got it sorted.
                Oh shush turbo! You know you love our liquid sunshine! Ahahahaha. Come to think of it, the skagit is the highest i've seen it in the 7 years i've lived in mt vernon

Comment

60Rod, You all getting as soaked as us. Its been raining constantly down here.... in Vancouver Wa.

Comment

Working...
                  X