Help identifying sensors!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help identifying sensors!

What exactly are these sensors? And can they be plugged/deleted without causing any problems? I won't be using the stock instrument cluster.

Bike is an 81 GS1000GLX. The picture with two sensors is near the starter and the other is underneath the engine on the left side.

THANKS!

IMG_2395.jpg

I unclipped a single wire from the sensor on the left in the picture. The other one has a few wires coming out of it.

IMG_2394.jpg

This one is under the secondary drive cover on the left side bottom of the motor. Also has several wires coming from it.

Appreciate the help fellas!

Comment

My phone is not letting me enlarge it, my guess is first pic is oil sensor and the other is a gear indicator. Edit .You most likely do not need them . Do you have a manual?
      Last edited by yank; 12-09-2015, 09:06 PM.
      81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

The first switch with the single wire is the oil pressure switch. Just a simple plunger inside that grounds the light when there is no oil pressure. When you go with the new cluster you can probably just use it for the oil light, hopefully it will have one. The second switch/sensor is the gear indicator. I can't see it in the photo but it probably has a 6 wire plug and a single wire. The single wire will be for your neutral light and will switch the neutral light to ground when in neutral and can probably be used with your new cluster. The six wire plug operates the gear indicator lights on the original instrument cluster and is not really needed if you don't have that feature on the instruments you're going to use. The motor will run and function without any of those hooked up but an oil light and neutral would be really nice to have.
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply! What about the one towards the back of the bike from the starter next to the wire keeper? It has a wire bundle that goes under the starter...

Comment

Originally posted by kvillebuckeye View Post
            Thanks for the quick reply! What about the one towards the back of the bike from the starter next to the wire keeper? It has a wire bundle that goes under the starter...
            Probably the wires from the stator that's inside the left engine cover. Have you downloaded a manual from Bass Cliff's site? It has all the wiring in the back of it.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Yea just having trouble finding that one thing. It's not the stator wires. It's a small cylinder with wires coming off it on top of the crankcase... I'll try looking again!

Comment

Most likely ground wires.
                81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

That cylinder next to the wire keeper is for venting any moisture, it's not a wire but a hose that is attached to it. It's sort of redundant.
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Ahhh i see that now. Could that be removed and replaced with a more modern cone filter style vent?

Comment

Working...
                    X