Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100EZ Engine knocking

Hello all,
    I've got an 82 gs1100e, and it's recently started to develop a slight engine knock. It started out small, but has progressed and gotten louder after riding. It sounds like it's coming from the top of the motor, on the cylinder closest to the starter clutch. It doesn't go away when the engine is hot or cold, it's constantly there. I've also noticed a rattling noise near the starter clutch whenever I pull the clutch in, or start to take off. Both noises are concerning me and have since deterred me from riding. I don't want to have any internal engine damage, and would like to get a second opinion on what it could be. From what I've read, it seems to be a cam chain. Maybe it just needs an adjustment, maybe it needs replace. I'm not much of an expert, so anything helps. Thanks.

Can you post a vid so we can hear it?
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
    1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by kstra17 View Post
      Both noises are concerning me and have since deterred me from riding..
      Good call....Get the left front side cover (stator/rotor/starter clutch) off and make sure the nut on the crank shaft is tight. Then check the allan bolts on the starter clutch itself.

If that checks out pull the clutch side cover and check the clutch hub nut.

Both have come loose on my EZ.

and you wont get much love for that Barnett clutch. I had one that ate up my basket. One of the fibers self destructed.
      Last edited by bonanzadave; 12-12-2015, 06:09 PM.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I just pulled the stator cover and everything is in check there, nothing loose. I'll go ahead and pull the clutch cover and see what comes out.
        Last edited by Guest; 12-12-2015, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
          Good call....Get the left front side cover (stator/rotor/starter clutch) off and make sure the nut on the crank shaft is tight. Then check the allan bolts on the starter clutch itself.

If that checks out pull the clutch side cover and check the clutch hub nut.

Both have come loose on my EZ.

and you wont get much love for that Barnett clutch. I had one that ate up my basket. One of the fibers self destructed.

That stator has been getting warm

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            That stator has been getting warm
            #2. The first one was covered under warranty in 1983.
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Almost sounds like a rod knock. Could your cams be walking around abit?

Comment

Get an old wooden broom handle or other piece of wood. Put one end against the flap of your ear so it closes the flap and rests on the bone. Put the other end at various points on your engine; front and back camshafts, cam chain tunnel, along the front of the engine in different areas of the crankshaft. You will immediately hear tapping, clacking and knocking sounds and will be able to identify exactly where the additional unwanted sound is coming from.

From your video, I would say (guess) that its more top end stuff; cam chain (start with overhauling your cam chain tensioner); valves incorrectly adjusted (take the cam cover off, check valve clearances and cam chain, check cam lobes and rockers for signs of wear and oil starvation) or cam end float (do these 1100 motors suffer this like the 850s do?).

If you really think it is more serious and the noise seems to be from a rod big or little end, drain the oil, take the sump off and look in the metal mesh filter under the engine. Main bearing damage is often a result of some other component failing and putting metal fragments around the engine and thus killing the bearings. Or you've had oil starvation for some reason. Either way, the sump filter will give you further clues.

This what I found in mine when I heard a main bearing rumbling noise; it was the result of a clutch explosion that the PO have never cleared up properly:

Richard
                sigpic
                GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Pulled the clutch cover and nothing out of the ordinary there. I'll go ahead and start checking the cam chain tensioners. Hopefully it doesn't go any deeper than that. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Comment

rods don't knock in roller bearing engines nor does the cams walk in 16v engines.
                    a main bearing will make noise/vibration though..

Comment

I'm still learning what has rollers and what doesn't. Good to know the roller rods won't knock like the feds before a raid

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                        rods don't knock in roller bearing engines nor does the cams walk in 16v engines.
                        a main bearing will make noise/vibration though..
                        Yeah, the noise you will hear when a ROD bearing goes will be the piston hitting the head!!! LOL!!!
                        Ray.

Comment

Many years back I was handed an 1100 with a bottom end noise to sort out. The PO had had it apart twice without finding anything so had sold it to a guy I knew who was "kind" enough to hand it to me...
                          I couldn't see or feel anything out of the usual either - but said to the owner that the one ball bearing on the crank was available and easy to change...It appears to be there to take side thrust from the helical primaries and locate the crank sideways.
                          So it got changed - and the noise disappeared....

Comment

How much did that project cost?

Comment

Well, the PO was actually my business partner in a motorcycle shop. He'd done the strip(s) after hours as it was a bike he wanted to keep.
                              The guy he'd sold it to was a mutual friend who knew I had not touched it...Seller was upfront about the problem so it went pretty cheap...
                              The bearing cost around $60NZ, my labour about $150NZ (the owner pulled the motor out to save money)

The look on my business partner's face...priceless.

The new owner kept it for years and did an enormous mileage on it. It showed up at all sorts of events incl racetracks...I'd dialled the cams in while I had it on the bench so it was quicker than the usual 1100....

Comment

Working...
                              X